Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diana 45

I've always thought that the 45 is one of those rare guns that shoots just as nicely in .177 as it does in .22. In terms of smoothness, felt recoil, i mean.The Mk1 HW77 is another. Once proper lubrication and the correct pellets are factored in of course.
    Anyone feel the same or is it all in my head?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I've always thought that the 45 is one of those rare guns that shoots just as nicely in .177 as it does in .22. In terms of smoothness, felt recoil, i mean.The Mk1 HW77 is another. Once proper lubrication and the correct pellets are factored in of course.
    Anyone feel the same or is it all in my head?
    Well the funny thing is despite owning an RWS 45 in both calibres for about 12 years (they look like twins in the gun rack), I've never shot them together in one session. My .22 is a bit more pokey than the .177, but as you say their firing characteristics are from memory very similar. And accuracy is a common denominator between them. In.my case both are converted over to synthetic heads but I will park that one up right there.
    I've recently been testing a 45 jubilee that is remarkably consistent and proving many of my prejudices of leather heads wrong.
    Definitely one of the classics of the 70s/80s.
    Dave

I'd like to ask how consistent, if I may be so bold, sir...?

I'd like to ask how consistent, if I may be so bold, sir...?
    Cant recall figures exactly but I have them here somewhere. From memory I think 3/4 fps over a five shot string n maybe just under/over the double figures in a ten shot- possibly fifteen shot- cant recall?. I think in some instances two nigh on three shots are same fps.
    Its good in my books anyhow?
    Dave
    Last edited by jonnyone; 13-09-2017 at 10:16 PM.

That is impressive. And they say leather is old hat. Well, it is but it often works very nicely. Is the rest of it bog - standard, Dave ?

That is impressive. And they say leather is old hat. Well, it is but it often works very nicely. Is the rest of it bog - standard, Dave ?
    It must be Drew. On account that its previous owner put very few if any shots through it. I certainly can number those I have in a few dozen, and it boings like a very boingy thing. It feels like new which isn't bad for a near 40 year old gun. The quality of finish would put many of today's springers in the shade.
    You really do get that new gun feeling by picking it up and firing it. Not what you would expect from a gun only 14 years younger than me
    Dave

I agree that the quality is very good, especially internally. Very considered design and nicely engineered. As has been said on here- the large plastic safety isn't everybody's cup of tea but it's the handiest safety I know. A steel safety and cast trigger blade would set the thing off. And a 3 or 4 inch shorter barrel would be nice. On the eyes, anyway.

One of my 45's is a Gecado in .22. The brand name was used in Aus, NZ & South Africa at least. Not sure if mine came in from one of those countries or never got there in the first place. It's the roughest gun in my collection but it is very accurate. Needs restored and one day it might even get it.

Yes , I had my Gecado mod 25 when I was in South Africa ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry B View Post
    Yes , I had my Gecado mod 25 when I was in South Africa ..
    Evening, Gerry. You might like the YouTube videos in which a South African guy shows of his collection of Gecados and Diana's, amongst other rifles. He refers to the newer models as Diana's, so presumably, they dropped the Gecado tag at some point.
    I can't remember his user name on the service, but a search should uncover it.

Evening, Gerry. You might like the YouTube videos in which a South African guy shows of his collection of Gecados and Diana's, amongst other rifles. He refers to the newer models as Diana's, so presumably, they dropped the Gecado tag at some point.
    Seen that one. Title something like my Diana collection going strong. He's got some of the more noteworthy of the line up in there. And I bet they are not throttled back either
    There's one on there of a guy shooting (i think) a plastic pop bottle from (again- I think 110m or more) with a 460/350 mag whatever.

Yes , we could have full power air rifles , although most of my mates went for UK legal because we were shooting FT rules at our club .

It was a struggle finding decent pellets that would stabilize at higher velocity, its ok to shoot through a bib , but being ex military we were all about accuracy , not so much spray and pray .

I spent hundreds of hours at the loading bench and on the range perfecting tight accurate loads for my hunting rifle , and it was better ( read lazy )to just get a sub 12 ft /lb rifle and work up a good pellet / pressure ratio for max accuracy .

My first gun was a .22 Original 45 mixed bag of memories....Made well before the HW80.....I got an HW80 in 1983 and got rid of the 45... compared to an HW80 it was not as well built and a pain in the arris to strip. Still have the 80 and it has had 200,000 rounds through it easily if not more and still a joy to use. I remember the barrel on the 45 was a tad soft...but the accuracy was good. Tapping out the pin through the stock and then a pair of pins on the trigger assembly under load was memorable...as was the Originals ball detent which was not as solid as the HW and many an occurrences with it opening when on a sling. It was retired for a reason...and was that it couldn't cut it with better made, better designed rifles.... not to mention the stock was a plank that functioned !