Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana 45

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    A class selection. It's a pity that Diana, HW and AA are the only ones from that list offering top springers now. You are totally right to include the Superstar. I shot one for the first time in well over 20 years last week and was very impressed.
    I missed the top end Webley breakbarrels but may pick one up someday. And I'm almost ashamed to say I've never had a FWB Sport either. They just didn't capture my imagination somehow.
    You should give the Webleys and the FWB a go. If I was forced to own one break barrel, it would be one of those - probably the Longbow. Though I'd miss the BSFs, Supersport (I meant Supersport!), Xocet, and Anschutz 335.

I ought to really like the HW85, but somehow it doesn't appeal in the same way. Bloody good gun, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    You should give the Webleys and the FWB a go. If I was forced to own one break barrel, it would be one of those - probably the Longbow. Though I'd miss the BSFs, Supersport (I meant Supersport!), Xocet, and Anschutz 335.

I ought to really like the HW85, but somehow it doesn't appeal in the same way. Bloody good gun, though.
    Well the trouble is I'd probably like them and have to accumulate a few.
    I did mean Superstar! Don't tell me I'll have to try the Supersport as well now. A slippery slope into BSA collecting..

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Well the trouble is I'd probably like them and have to accumulate a few.
    I did mean Superstar! Don't tell me I'll have to try the Supersport as well now. A slippery slope into BSA collecting..
    I was trying to stay on b/bs. Though I know I mentioned the TXs. Supersport gets mixed views. Personally I like it.

Under and side levers would include the Superstar (good to great), HW77/97 (great), and any number of Dianas, Airsporter models, sidelevers AAs, and other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Whats the bore and stroke of the 45?
    In all the times.I've been inside mine I still don't know lol. But I'm guessing bore is 28mm as this seems common through the larger Diana guns. Stroke- really not too sure on that. I'd be interested to know that one myself as I suspect that whilst it might have been longish compared to similar guns back in the day, I think in modern terms and certainly amongst other current Diana's it is relatively short. Barryg is usually the one good on that information and he's never around where needed
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    FWB made 60,000 or more Sports. They aren't that rare.

They are just very nice. Despite their flaws.

I agree that in terms of factory springer offerings in the 11-15 ft/lbs bracket, the best of the older guns (BSF 55, 60, 70; HW77, 80, 85; FWB Sport; Webley Omega, Tomahawk, Longbow; BSA Superstar, AA TX Mk1/2; Diana 34 series, 45) are as good and in some respects (fit and finish, for one) as anything you can buy now.
    I did not know so many FWBs were produced. Not many come up for sale, either, so their owners clearly value them.

Very interesting remarks on your choice for break-barrels. I had forgotten about BSF, too, but also interesting to see your mention of three brands from the Webley stable.

Rgds
    A

Original 45

Keep meaning to get to the back of the room I keep my bits in where my air guns are kept.just not got their yet.
    My happiest shooting memories were with my m 45.
    It was sweet as a nut out the box and loved the old wasps .
    Took me years to buy another and then I was hooked .
    I'd guess at one point I had 20+45 s. All cals ,dedicated scope models.
    I sold several last couple of Years and have never had to advertise one.
    I got the buzz for the side leavers then too along with other air guns I personally liked not for value or I guess I didn't see it as collecting I just loved them.
    Everyone should have a m 45 ,not all were sweet out the box as I found but most certainly were.
    Their was a factory recall but few were bought back for a all nylon safety unit instead of the sprung steel blade that failed.
    I did manage to buy one that was recalled too out of interest.
    I like the earlier 45 s myself.
    Very pleasurable rifle I just rarely get to enjoy them these days.
    Nice to see they still attract interest

Very interesting. Never had one out of the box as all of mine were bought used long after the gun was introduced. All have been good with a couple needing just a simple lube to fettle. Two others have been absolutely superb- both .177's. These two have seen the most use over the years, I'd say, and came expertly lubricated.

I think the fact it had a leather seal was why most were good out of the box just like the 35 though some were very twangy.Back in the eighties most if not all springers were tawngy from new, my HW35 was a good one & shot nice from day one; it is still on its original seal & spring with just some added moly to this day.

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    In all the times.I've been inside mine I still don't know lol. But I'm guessing bore is 28mm as this seems common through the larger Diana guns. Stroke- really not too sure on that. I'd be interested to know that one myself as I suspect that whilst it might have been longish compared to similar guns back in the day, I think in modern terms and certainly amongst other current Diana's it is relatively short. Barryg is usually the one good on that information and he's never around where needed
    Dave
    Hi Dave I got your message
    I'm not really a big fan of the old Diana's
    I have had a 34 and a 45 at the same time and compared both with each other, although my 34 is the old Firebird version and seems the same quality as the 45.
    The 34 has about 10 mm longer stroke and the same 28 mm bore as the 45 and the same TP.
    Because of the shorter stroke on the 45 it will take a bit longer spring, so don't fit the spring in your 34 without removing coils
    IMO the 38 was and perhaps still is the best of It's class

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Hi Dave I got your message
    I'm not really a big fan of the old Diana's
    I have had a 34 and a 45 at the same time and compared both with each other, although my 34 is the old Firebird version and seems the same quality as the 45.
    The 34 has about 10 mm longer stroke and the same 28 mm bore as the 45 and the same TP.
    Because of the shorter stroke on the 45 it will take a bit longer spring, so don't fit the spring in your 34 without removing coils
    IMO the 38 was and perhaps still is the best of It's class
    Thanks for your input Barry. Appreciated as always.
    I thought that the stroke on a 34 was a fair bit longer than 10mm but I'll take your word on it as I haven't checked.
    I'm convinced the 45 is sweeter shooting than the 34 but that's maybe because I want it to be sweeter. Both good guns in any event.
    And there was me thinking you were a fan of Diana's "end of".
    Dave

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all these posts .

I was recently given a very nice clean Diana RWS mod 45 in 22 . Marked 1988 .

I was impressed , its a very comfortable rifle to shoot, bear in mind that 6 months ago I sold my HW 95 , just never ever felt that it was a good rifle.
    Spread a group a bit too erratically for my liking .
    I didn't do any tuning or any thing , just the normal checking , tried 3 scopes, no difference .
    I have over the years found rifles you just get on with and others that never ever feel as good as they should.

I played about with the Diana , trying various pellets , open sights .

I don't have a chrono any more , so no idea of power .

But shooting paper at 25 yards , I was shocked how good it grouped with Air Arms pellets ( 5.52 ? ) , compared to my big selection from almost every maker .

As I'm no longer shooting any competition , its going to make a great plinker / fun gun in my retirement .

I have a real tatty old BSA Supersport , that is also a great plinker, ok , its a bit tired , but perfect for playing about out to 25 yards .
    Now that I have a lovely rifle, the Diana , I'll get around to fixing up the Supersport and the Mark 1 Meteor .

Yes, the 45 has its fans on here. I'm glad yours is performing well and you are enjoying it. 1988 is late for the earlier model forty five. Is it the Version with the cheekpiece, stamped checkering on the pistol grip.?

Evening Gerry.
    Glad to hear that you are having some good results with your 45. Its definitely an "oldie but goodie". I'm quite a fan of Dianas but feel that the 45 was certainly one of their top guns of all time. Its hunting abilities are second to none provided the pilot does his or her bit!
    They do still come up for sale occasionally but not quite in the same numbers as years ago. It only dawned on me just this week that I have five examples between the Diana and RWS variants. I rate the gun, though I'm still having some reasonable success with it's stablemate that it came to overshadow the 50T01 - which it shares a basic power plant with.
    One surprising thing with the 45 is that it came in a few variants aside of the "Original" and RWS versions. I think there was a Gecado version too.
    Keep enjoying a classic fella!
    Dave

Evening Gerry.
    Glad to hear that you are having some good results with your 45. Its definitely an "oldie but goodie". I'm quite a fan of Dianas but feel that the 45 was certainly one of their top guns of all time. Its hunting abilities are second to none provided the pilot does his or her bit!
    They do still come up for sale occasionally but not quite in the same numbers as years ago. It only dawned on me just this week that I have five examples between the Diana and RWS variants. I rate the gun, though I'm still having some reasonable success with it's stablemate that it came to overshadow the 50T01 - which it shares a basic power plant with.
    One surprising thing with the 45 is that it came in a few variants aside of the "Original" and RWS versions. I think there was a Gecado version too.
    Dave
    Yes , mine has a stamped chequering and cheek piece .

For its age , the rifle is in very decent condition.

I'm pleased , always had good memories of my Gecado 25 , so its no surprise I'm enjoying this 45

Evening Gerry.
    Dave
    One of my 45's is a Gecado in .22. The brand name was used in Aus, NZ & South Africa at least. Not sure if mine came in from one of those countries or never got there in the first place. It's the roughest gun in my collection but it is very accurate. Needs restored and one day it might even get it.