Thread: Webley & Scott Mark II (Target Model)

Webley & Scott Mark II (Target Model)

A question for you folks.... did all the Mark II (Target Models) have screw retainers for the barrel catch or did some have pins? I have seen in Gordon's book one that appears to have a pin but no mention of it in the text. Similar no mention of a pin in John's Encyclopedia. However I have a Stoeger Mark II that appears to have a pin.... but it's just as feasible that the screw in both examples may have been sheared off...

All the best,
    Jimmie

Mine has a screw, atb Karl.

Both of mine have scwews

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Mine has a screw

Hello,

The barrel retaining catch on my Mk2 Target is also fitted with a screw rather than a pin.

I note the parts list included in Gordon's book also refers to a screw with an associated asterisk denoting that it is a different part to the earlier Mk1.

Regards
    Brian

Hi Jimmie,

I carried out some detailed research into the Mark 2 a couple of years ago and all had retaining screws. It has been described as a 'deluxe' feature by writers before and I subscribe to this belief myself.

Something less apparent with the Mark 2 is some had a tiny spring guide behind the barrel release catch, which again is an unnecessary luxury but just demonstrates the lengths Webley went to when British manufacturing was the best in the world.

Kind regards,

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    A question for you folks.... did all the Mark II (Target Models) have screw retainers for the barrel catch or did some have pins? I have seen in Gordon's book one that appears to have a pin but no mention of it in the text. Similar no mention of a pin in John's Encyclopedia. However I have a Stoeger Mark II that appears to have a pin.... but it's just as feasible that the screw in both examples may have been sheared off...

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Hi Jimmie, if it has being replaced l would have thought that if you knocked the pin out you would still be able to see the original thread inside. as l can't see Webley puting pins in. my Stoeger Mk11 & Senior both have screws. and none of my other Webleys have pins.

Thanks for the responses so far.

John, have you Gordon's book? I'm sure you have. On page 39, there is an image of a Target Model that appears to have a pin rather than a screw.

As for knocking the pin out... thanks, that made me look closer. My Stoeger that looks like it has a pin must be a sheared off screw as the pin does not go through to the other side! This makes me think the pistol on page 39 of Gordon's book may also have a sheared off screw.

All the best,
    Jimmie

John, have you Gordon's book? I'm sure you have. On page 39, there is an image of a Target Model that appears to have a pin rather than a screw.

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Hi Jimmie,

I suspect either the screw on the pistol in GB's book has sheared off as you suggest or maybe the block was incorrectly machined?

Kind regards,

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky

As for knocking the pin out... thanks, that made me look closer. My Stoeger that looks like it has a pin must be a sheared off screw as the pin does not go through to the other side! This makes me think the pistol on page 39 of Gordon's book may also have a sheared off screw.

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Hi Jimmie. just a thought, but looking at the Mk11 Target on page 33, l was wondering if the screw had been replaced at some time with a prewar Junior screw as they have no locking screw.

All the best,
    Jimmie
    Hi Jimmie

Excellent as it is, there are a few unexplained inconsistencies in Gordon's book which is only to be expected given the level of detail it contains. For instance the pre-war oil can pictured on page 198 is a replica which is not referenced in the accompanying text.

Having said that, the book remains the definitive reference for Webley collectors and will probably remain so for many ears to come.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Jimmie

Excellent as it is, there are a few unexplained inconsistencies in Gordon's book which is only to be expected given the level of detail it contains. For instance the pre-war oil can pictured on page 198 is a replica which is not referenced in the accompanying text.

Having said that, the book remains the definitive reference for Webley collectors and will probably remain so for many ears to come.

Regards

Brian

As long as the accompanying text doesn't claim that the oil can is original, I wouldn't class this as an inconsistency.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    As long as the accompanying text doesn't claim that the oil can is original, I wouldn't class this as an inconsistency.
    Hello,

You are probably right, what I meant to say was that without a statement that a pictured item was a reproduction, the average reader would reasonably believe it to be original. Obviously the author may not have been aware of this at the time of publication and consequently would not have included such a statement.

This was by no means intended as a criticism of what remains the recognised bible for us Webley air pistol enthusiasts.

Regards
    Brian