Thread: Airsporter mk6 restoration help

Exclamation Airsporter mk6 restoration help

Evening all
    I'm in the process of restoring my mk6 Airsporter.
    I've removed all of the bluing and am now trying to remove the rust spots.
    Can I use fine wet & dry or am I better off using fine grade wire wool?
    The inside of the chamber needs polishing out, what is the best way to achieve this please?
    I'll be using a T R Robb stainless still piston kit and TBT top hat, guide and updated spring is this the best option for her?
    Finally, are the birchwood casey bluing kits ok for a newbie?
    Thanks all

I've been playing about with a mk 6 .177 for a good while now. I've done just about everything it's possible to do with one. It was in quite good nick, so thought it was worth working on. Totally reworked internals and can't get it to do over 8.5 fpe. Advice is: if your going to spend a lot of money, time and effort on it, don't expect miracles. It ain't going to happen.

Getting a rifle blued properly doesn't cost half what people expect it will. If you are determined to do it yourself have a look at rust bluing.

The best cold blue I have ever used is G96 Gun Blue Creme. I have done dozens of pistols and rifles over the years with it. The pistol below was in the white with all old blueing removed before I did it. Rather use course wire wool for removing the rust.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 28-08-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Getting a rifle blued properly doesn't cost half what people expect it will. If you are determined to do it yourself have a look at rust bluing.
    I would second that not hard to do and good results.

For polishing the inside of the chamber, I use a bit of broomstick with a 25mm slot cut down the end with a hacksaw. Put a strip of fine emery paper in the slot and wind it around, abrasive side out(!) until its a reasonable fit in the chamber. Then just rotate and slide up and down. No need to overdo it. Traditionally we used to finish off with a bit of cloth in the slot and Solvol Autosol metal polish, but I would look for a slightly rougher finish these days to retain the lube.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.