Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which budget scope for garden plinking?

Which budget scope for garden plinking?

Hi guys and galls,

I'm in the process of bringing a HW77 Mk1 back to life for a friend. I've fettled the internals and now she shots lovely (.22). The foresight is fully functional, but the owner would prefer to have a scope mounted. He's got a small budget (£40max), so I suggested a simple 4x32 or a 3-9x40, with mil dot ret, ..which he likes the sound of. The preference is a non-AO scope. The problem is, as I told him, that most 'budget' scopes in his price range are pre-set at 100yds parallax. I'm perfectly happy to re-parallax the scope, but my dilemma is... which budget scopes allow easy re-parallax adjustment of the objective lens..? I've been looking on the J S Ramsbottom's website. They seem to have a good choice of suitable scopes, but which one..?? BSA, Nikko Stirling and Richter Optik all have something suitable... but which are easy to adjust parallax ?

Appreciate and advice...

Regards,

Finners
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

On the cheap side I have reparallaxed Nikko Mountmasters quite easily. Though for the budget you could get one with parallax adjustment and mounts.

Check out the ASI Sabre on JSR site too. Highly recommended and very good value for money.

Another vote for the Sabre from JSR - the 4x32 A/O. Excellent optics, A/O down to 5 metres, less than £25 including postage and 1-piece mount - seems to be springer-proof too. Great for plinking and hunting, worth every penny...

Been advised on one of these, & I think I would have bought one if I wasn't being a snob!!

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products...-38-mount.html

I recon it covers everything
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by finners View Post
    Hi guys and galls,

I'm in the process of bringing a HW77 Mk1 back to life for a friend. I've fettled the internals and now she shots lovely (.22). The foresight is fully functional, but the owner would prefer to have a scope mounted. He's got a small budget (£40max), so I suggested a simple 4x32 or a 3-9x40, with mil dot ret, ..which he likes the sound of. The preference is a non-AO scope. The problem is, as I told him, that most 'budget' scopes in his price range are pre-set at 100yds parallax. I'm perfectly happy to re-parallax the scope, but my dilemma is... which budget scopes allow easy re-parallax adjustment of the objective lens..? I've been looking on the J S Ramsbottom's website. They seem to have a good choice of suitable scopes, but which one..?? BSA, Nikko Stirling and Richter Optik all have something suitable... but which are easy to adjust parallax ?

Appreciate and advice...

Regards,

Finners
    The only point that I would make is if a cheap scope is reparallaxed and is used on a springer if the front cell is not locked in it will come loose with recoil and loose focus. I don't know of any cheap scope with locakable front cell unit. On a PCP this is not an issue. It maybe prudent to go for a decent mildot AO scope or even a X hair as the back garden plinking usually doesn't need any rezeroing or mildot compensation. There is also a BSA 1~4x24 illuminated centre dot on sale from optics warehouse at the moment for £35.00 ( forget the laughable suggested retail price of £113.00 ) plus P&P which is £7.50 in their case I believe. With a 24mm front objective and at 4x everything should be in focus pretty much from 10 yards on. Just a thought. As for the mildot scope you couldn't go wrong with the Saber 2x7x32 AO mildot from our sponsors JSR for less than £40.00. This scope is on offer at the moment and I have one on my prosport and it seems to have survived sofar after about 250 shot, it even comes with a functional one piece mount.

A.G
    Last edited by lensman57; 04-08-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Thumbs up Great advice boys...

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    The only point that I would make is if a cheap scope is reparallaxed and is used on a springer if the front cell is not locked in it will come loose with recoil and loose focus. I don't know of any cheap scope with locakable front cell unit. On a PCP this is not an issue. It maybe prudent to go for a decent mildot AO scope or even a X hair as the back garden plinking usually doesn't need any rezeroing or mildot compensation. There is also a BSA 1~4x24 illuminated centre dot on sale from optics warehouse at the moment for £35.00 ( forget the laughable suggested retail price of £113.00 ) plus P&P which is £7.50 in their case I believe. With a 24mm front objective and at 4x everything should be in focus pretty much from 10 yards on. Just a thought. As for the mildot scope you couldn't go wrong with the Saber 2x7x32 AO mildot from our sponsors JSR for less than £40.00. This scope is on offer at the moment and I have one on my prosport and it seems to have survived sofar after about 250 shot, it even comes with a functional one piece mount.

A.G
    Good point Lensman57, I hadn't thought of that..!

I'll be placing an order for a Sabre then. I'll opt for the 2-7x32 AO mildot.... sorted!

Many thanks guys.

Jez
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

I'm considering a sabre 4x32 for an airsporter. The theory is this: Put some riser blocks on so I will be able to pull the one piece mount back a bit to give better eye relief. This would mean only securing with two of the three bolts on the one piece mount. Would it be sufficient as the sporter has a reasonable kick to it?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I'm considering a sabre 4x32 for an airsporter. The theory is this: Put some riser blocks on so I will be able to pull the one piece mount back a bit to give better eye relief. This would mean only securing with two of the three bolts on the one piece mount. Would it be sufficient as the sporter has a reasonable kick to it?
    The one piece mount that came with my 2X7X32 has 3 arrestor pins along the length of the mount rather than just one. This means that you can use at least one of them to secure the scope if your gun has the holes to receive them.

A.G

Instead of riser blocks, would one of those maxi grip rails that come on the Lightning be a better idea?

ronny sunshines bsa 3 9 40 ao perfect for garden plinking yesterday i received my second fourty pounds brilliant. pete

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Instead of riser blocks, would one of those maxi grip rails that come on the Lightning be a better idea?
    Yup, I have one of those mounts specifically made for airsporters and mercurys on my Mercury. The thing is, they are £40 a chuck. Thats twice the cost of the scope. If the gun was outstanding, it would get better mounts and scope. But it isn't, so it won't. As it is, I have some spare raiser blocks, so it would only need me to buy the scope, about £23 off the jsr site.

Finners,

I bought a Hawke 4x32 AO last year to see if it was any good, and I was most surprised to find it was (for me) an excellent 'scope

It can be had for around £50, which is a bit above your friend's budget.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I have a couple of SMK 4x28 scopes, duplex, non Ao but easily reparallaxed, 1" tube, and frankly amazing image quality considering the pittance they cost. They are fairly compact, weight nothing, but do have a normal eye releif (unlike some compacts).

I got one for a tenner secondhand, and on a gamo springer doing 11FP, it has had no zero loss issues over the course of a tin of pellets.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I just grind an inch or so off the underside rails to the rear of any suitable one-piece-mount, to enable it to sit further back on a 'sporter. "paint" over the two shiny lines with a black sharpie, job done
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I just grind an inch or so off the underside rails to the rear of any suitable one-piece-mount, to enable it to sit further back on a 'sporter. "paint" over the two shiny lines with a black sharpie, job done
    I've done that before Jon on a previous gun. It worked well. I was just thinking that using riser blocks, which I already have, would be better. Especially as the scope is only 32 objective.