Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which budget scope for garden plinking?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    Yup, I have one of those mounts specifically made for airsporters and mercurys on my Mercury. The thing is, they are £40 a chuck. Thats twice the cost of the scope. If the gun was outstanding, it would get better mounts and scope. But it isn't, so it won't. As it is, I have some spare raiser blocks, so it would only need me to buy the scope, about £23 off the jsr site.
    The reason I ask is that i have one and you are welcome to it free gratis. If you saw my post re the Weihrauch scopes all I ask is a donation equiv to the postage cost to Marie Curie, let me know.

Cheers,

Dave.

As a budget scope, nothing wrong with the little sabres from jsr, as also mentioned by rabbitwrecker and Rhyslightnin above.

Allegedly made by Nikko and badged up. I've got one of the 4x32's on a basic rifle for my nephew and it's perfectly fine for what it is, and downright excellent for the tiny amount of money that it cost.

Sure, Leupold and March aren't going to be losing sleep over it but for a "fit it, zero it, shoot it" basic plinker it's absolutely bang on.
    It has an adjustable AO but there's nowt to stop you just setting that and leaving it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    The reason I ask is that i have one and you are welcome to it free gratis. If you saw my post re the Weihrauch scopes all I ask is a donation equiv to the postage cost to Marie Curie, let me know.

Cheers,

Dave.
    You have a PM Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    You have a PM Dave.
    Replied

sabre 4x32

I have just got a sabre 4x32, so her are my initial thoughts on it:

Seems well made. Clear glass. Nice mildot ret. One piece mount included in the price. Also flip up lens covers. Finger adjustable turrets. Costs under £20 & p+p! You get a hell of a lot for the money.

Now the very minor downsides:
    I like to have the mounting bolts on the right side. You can't do this with this mount. You can't get the scope mounted level if the bolts are on the right as the scope (where the windage turret is) is baulked by the mount.
    If fitted to a "flush" gun, (mines on an airsporter), you cant get the front lens cap on, so you would need a riser to give enough clearance.
    I've also found that the arrestor pins need removing altogether if the gun doesn't have holes for them. Just screwing them up so the mount fits flush, and they are perilously close to the scope.
    Be careful with the ring bolts, they are quite small and it would be very easy to chuff them up.

All that being said, it's a good bet for the money.

Agreed - these Cheap & cheerful scopes from JSR are great value for money on a 'plinker'. I have one on my Mercury - the open sights on that are beyond may poor vision now.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Mine's on the .22 99s, super little scope - it's already assisted in the demise of three rabbits and a woodie...

Thumbs up Well pleased..!

Thanks for all your comments guys. It really does show that there are some perfectly good optics at very reasonable prices out there. It really is 'Horses for courses' I guess, but the quality of the 2-7 Sabre is excellent. I must give JS Ramsbottom's a 'Big-up' here. Order placed and goods delivered in two days... can't ask better than that.

Regards,

Finners
    Ripley AR5S, EV2 Mk2, S400C, HW98, Walther LGU, Walther LGV Comp-Ultra & Prosports x2..... but can only shoot one at a time..!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Mine's on the .22 99s, super little scope - it's already assisted in the demise of three rabbits and a woodie...
    I agree and a super ittle gun. I put mine on the Prosport and for the price it is a cracker.

A.G

Hi,

I brought a Mountmaster 4-12x50 from JR Ramsbottom last year and this is fine for general plinking plus has a HMD reticle, this maybe worth a look?

Talking about the sabre 4x32's, what mag are the mildots set at to be true. Just like to know for chairgun purposes.