Thread: Nikko Nighteater scopes

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS

Nikko Nighteater scopes

Just wondering if these scopes are any good and what would you compare the quality to.

Darren Petts Guest
    Tried 3 of the 6-24 mag ones. They white-out easily at high mag. Same useless mil-dot ret as the AGS range. Non-target turrets. Good in low light. Comparable to AGS swat as they appear to be made in the same factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Petts
    Tried 3 of the 6-24 mag ones. They white-out easily at high mag. Same useless mil-dot ret as the AGS range. Non-target turrets. Good in low light. Comparable to AGS swat as they appear to be made in the same factory.
    The 30mm tube version has target turrets - it's the 1" model that has caps like the AGS.

Side by side I think I prefer the nighteater over the SWAT, although I need to get the nikko out in the field for a proper play yet

The 6-24 model seems to have a problem past 20 or so Mag.

Ive looked through two now, both with the same milkyness past 20ish mag.

Theres quite a few in the range (4-16, 12x50, 8-32, etc) and a choice of two tube diameters

Chinese manufactured to a similar spec as the AGS SWAT although not by the same people.

I havent seen all of the Nighteater range but if i had to choose between the 6-24x56 and the AGS SWAT 4-16x56 (by no means flawless either) then id go for the AGS.

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie
    The 30mm tube version has target turrets - it's the 1" model that has caps like the AGS.
    Not target turrets as I know them. They are sniper style and marked like a target turret but don't go up and down when dialled so if you're a turn out you'll never know until you try to hit something
    Last edited by Darren Petts; 07-09-2005 at 08:01 PM.

steven is offline Whist - it's the new rock'n'roll, innit?
    Not target turrets as I know them. They are sniper style and marked like a target turret but don't go up and down when dialled so if you're a turn out you'll never know until you try to hit something
    What has 'target turrets' got to do with the basic quality of a scope?
    Unless you intend to use it for FT of course - in which case the nighteater is probably a bad choice.

I can only speak of the 4-16 (30mm), which in terms of clarity and brightness is pretty good for around £150.

As Darren rightly says, the mildots are close to useless for air rifle use, and they are unforgiving if your eye is not perfectly aligned.

Darren Petts Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steven
    What has 'target turrets' got to do with the basic quality of a scope?
    Unless you intend to use it for FT of course
    Answered your own question. If you want it for hunting or HFT then it's no problem. You can argue the toss on a 6-24 as to whether it should have them or not but as thay also do an 8-32 model it gets harder to say it's not designed for target work - as such it should have target turrets. Therefore it's a basic design flaw (certainly on the 8-32) for it's intended use

Answered your own question. If you want it for hunting or HFT then it's no problem. You can argue the toss on a 6-24...
    Well no actually, I haven't.

The guy that started the thread never mentioned the 8-32, nor the 6-24 mag versions.... you did!

Darren Petts Guest
    Seeing as you want the full half hour argument and not the 5 minute one. The original question was
    "Just wondering if these scopes are any good and what would you compare the quality to."
    This doesn't say anthing as to mag range or useage. Therfore my mentioning what I consider to be a problem with some models may well be relevant. The original post doesn't mention "basic quality" - you did.

Seeing as you want the full half hour argument and not the 5 minute one.
    After all.. Iv'e just paid!
    The original question was
    "Just wondering if these scopes are any good and what would you compare the quality to."
    This doesn't say anthing as to mag range or useage.
    Exactly my point - so why assume he meant one of two from the six mag options...and FT as the intended use?

Therfore my mentioning what I consider to be a problem with some models may well be relevant.
    I would not dare question your expertise in this regard Darren.

The original post doesn't mention "basic quality" - you did.
    So.. here we are, 22.55 Hrs, exploring assumptions; 100 BBS members in a room - how many are hunters, how many plinkers, how many compete in HFT, and how many in FT?

As you will recall from my prior post, if FT is his thing, the nighteater is probably a bad choice.

TheOgre Guest

Thumbs up

I have the 1" Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 6 - 24 x 44. - for the price nothing even comes close. I've tried others in the same or similar price range, Hawke's Varmint II, Night eye, Airmax (cheaper, but IMHO better optics than Varmint) amongst others.

I have never had a "white out", only crisp images throughout the mag range (including x24) in good to fair light. At lower mags (X6 - X12) in low light this scope is brighter that Einstein.

The side parallax works well (would like to have a big wheel as well). The image snaps into focus on higher mags giving you a good indication of distance, and by doing real world testing you can work out for yourself at what mag level which mildots to use for what distance - no problem.

One downside would be that the scope doesn't come with lens covers, and due to the slanting shape of the scope at the objective end - it may be difficult finding a cover that fits.

The turrets are not of the "resetable" target types, but with your own markings (eg correction fluid) you can take care of that, by marking your "zero" and then other usefull distances off. (You can even use ChairGun to print labels)

Additionally the scope is a 1/8" @ 100yds clicker - which means that you have a more precise means of adjustment, but it also means that you have to do twice as many clicks.

IMO a better scope is going to cost quite a bit more. Having said that It would also depend on what type of shooting you're going to be doing most.

I believe that the 6-24 that I have strikes a good balance between target shooting (higher mags for range finding, and shooting at stationary targets), and hunting (lower mags for wider field of view). Furthermore the reasons I settled on the 6-24 model instead of the 8-32 was first the length of the scope (it covered the loading bay on my HW97) and secondly the parallax adjustments start at 10yds on the 6-24 vs 15yds on the 8-32. Who knows, maybe I want to do some 10m shooting sometime.

Acerbus Guest
    I got a 6-24 x 56. As said before the optic is not really good ( after taking a look through a Bushnell, a Leupold and a S&B) at higher mags and in full daylight there is much " White Out "

If you catch the optimal point of looking through the fog turns less but that is not very comfortable if you change the positions ( sitting, kneeling, standing and prone ). The space between the dots is much to wide, a true mil - space would virtually be reached at a mag of 28x. ( by my own math)

The mechanic is not so bad. The dialling of the turrets work exact and also the rangefinding is far better as it was with the Sidewinder I've owned before ( but the gap between 45 - 50 m is pretty small )

All in all its not expensive and it works, but it is certainly the last low budged scope I've bought.

Jochen

TheOgre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Acerbus
    I got a 6-24 x 56. As said before the optic is not really good
    Jochen
    Never did try the 56mm (30mm tube) NS. Only commented on 44mm (1" tube).