Thread: How to remove varnish off a stock/action??

How to remove varnish off a stock/action??

Recently I bought a nice rifle, the action of which appears to be matt anodised (if there's such a thing), and the stock WAS oiled walnut.

However it's bedn painted in a varnish of some sorr that has horrible blobs and runs, and just can't be ignored.

Ang suggestions to get it off and get to the original wood?

Would stripper harm the anodised finish?

Please help as my eyes hurt looking at it!!
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Finish

You have to try a test on an area hidden - is this varnish to the action underneath hidden by stock ?
    You could try rubbing the blobs at least if not all ie using liquid abrasives rather than paper ..but again on a hidden area .

My thoughts are that you need to be sure what the original finish was. If it was straight oil, fine, but if it has any kind of stain, you may well end up with a patchy finish. I would hand sand it all off starting with fine and ending with very fine it you are sure it's not stained. If you block sand the nibs down it will stop you ending up with an uneven finish.

Let's face it, from the sound of it you have little to lose and you can always get it camo dipped or painted if it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
    Recently I bought a nice rifle, the action of which appears to be matt anodised (if there's such a thing), and the stock WAS oiled walnut.

However it's bedn painted in a varnish of some sorr that has horrible blobs and runs, and just can't be ignored.

Ang suggestions to get it off and get to the original wood?

Would stripper harm the anodised finish?

Please help as my eyes hurt looking at it!!
    Are you saying somebody has gobbed the same varnish stuff on the metal as on the wood?

If its something like truoil or danish oil put on thick - you might be surprised how it comes off with white spirit on a rag + elbow grease.

I'd try that first

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by floggist View Post
    My thoughts are that you need to be sure what the original finish was. If it was straight oil, fine, but if it has any kind of stain, you may well end up with a patchy finish. I would hand sand it all off starting with fine and ending with very fine it you are sure it's not stained. If you block sand the nibs down it will stop you ending up with an uneven finish.

Let's face it, from the sound of it you have little to lose and you can always get it camo dipped or painted if it doesn't work out.
    If you are going down the sanding route rather than using solvent removal, I would recommend steel wool rather than sandpaper. It is quicker and deals with the awkward contours more easily. It is also the only realistic practical way when chequering is involved.

Second half of the first video and all of the econd video.

https://youtu.be/C2vpsDy-UUk

https://youtu.be/MjUAIjf96ug
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    Second half of the first video and all of the econd video.

https://youtu.be/C2vpsDy-UUk

https://youtu.be/MjUAIjf96ug
    As a vastly experienced french polisher friend once said,"when it comes to timber,there are certain things that are irreversible"

The shame is the rifle is nearly new. It's in this section as you folks are the go to for restoration info!!

I want to preserve the chequering and get back to the walnut. The original finish was indeed oiled walnut, I've checked.

I'll buy a selection of solvents and a paint stripper today.

Question. Will paint stripper attack the white plastic spacer on the butt plate? The but recoil pad comes off but the spacer seems bonded on.
    I can try a small patch test but it's going to be ugly if it does attack it as the butt is designed to be removed for access.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS