Thread: Will pellets for vintage guns get impossible to find?

Will pellets for vintage guns get impossible to find?

Yes many vintage guns will take modern pellets. But there are examples in my collection that I like to shoot that require something special. Manufactures tend to eliminate items that don't sell very much. One example today H&N made round balls that were 4.54 mm. Perfect for my Haenel 28-R where the bore lets 4.5 roll right out. Went to buy more they were eliminated from my normal mail order site. Found just one 500 tin at another site and ordered it. Went on H&N site and don't see them made any more? Another gun that is difficult is the Crosman 102 another with feeding issue. Buying vintage pellets has been helpful at times, where they aren't too expensive.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Everything runs out eventually.
    I remember SMLE rifles at £90 a pop in the 1990's because they were common as muck and nobody wanted them. Now look at the prices; when you can actually find a good one for sale.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

They were nine quid

at Valentines Army Surplus here in NZ......at one time. Likewise,paratrooper's folding scooters!

I seem to have enough old pellets to stock a small shop.
    Time to have a real sort and sell.
    Might even be an idea to sort them into calibre!

smle

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Everything runs out eventually.
    I remember SMLE rifles at £90 a pop in the 1990's because they were common as muck and nobody wanted them. Now look at the prices; when you can actually find a good one for sale.
    I can go better than that. I bought my first S.M.L.E. in the sixties bored out to .410 cal. shotgun smooth bore for £6 and when i got tired of it sold it to a mate for £6 also. XWD bsa motor cycles £100, worth 3 grand and more in good nick nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes many vintage guns will take modern pellets. But there are examples in my collection that I like to shoot that require something special. Manufactures tend to eliminate items that don't sell very much. One example today H&N made round balls that were 4.54 mm. Perfect for my Haenel 28-R where the bore lets 4.5 roll right out. Went to buy more they were eliminated from my normal mail order site. Found just one 500 tin at another site and ordered it. Went on H&N site and don't see them made any more? Another gun that is difficult is the Crosman 102 another with feeding issue. Buying vintage pellets has been helpful at times, where they aren't too expensive.
    H&N stopped doing lead ball as my od catalogue showed numerous numerous variations all now fallen by the wayside . If you look hard enough there are other makers around the world .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    H&N stopped doing lead ball as my od catalogue showed numerous numerous variations all now fallen by the wayside . If you look hard enough there are other makers around the world .
    I just ordered the last tin .454 H&N balls at another internet seller in the US. It now shows out of stock. That's a 500 count tin so that will probably do me well for a while. I don't shoot it every day. But I would have liked one more tin. May find another hanging in inventory somewhere. I see no seller left for this size period?

PS, did find one more tin on the Bay. I'm good.
    Last edited by 45flint; 07-08-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Shot size BB

Shot size BB is 4.57. I think Kranks sell this loose. Any use ???

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Shot size BB is 4.57. I think Kranks sell this loose. Any use ???
    If you are talking about lead shot for reloading, I have seen that. The place I saw it said it was not for airguns. Probably cause the way it's made doesn't produce precise size? But never tried it.

Ball

If you are talking about lead shot for reloading, I have seen that. The place I saw it said it was not for airguns. Probably cause the way it's made doesn't produce precise size? But never tried it.
    Wonder why probably because they want you to buy a tin at 10 x the price !!!

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    Wonder why probably because they want you to buy a tin at 10 x the price !!!
    Lead shot had 6% antimony for hardness, may not be what you want in a Airgun?

Hi, I could be wrong because my memory is shocking, Crosman 102, pump up with gravity magazine, Verminpels work with no problems in mine, the Crosman 600 likewise.
    Cheers. Geoff.

Look South

I just ordered the last tin .454 H&N balls at another internet seller in the US. It now shows out of stock. That's a 500 count tin so that will probably do me well for a while. I don't shoot it every day. But I would have liked one more tin. May find another hanging in inventory somewhere. I see no seller left for this size period?

PS, did find one more tin on the Bay. I'm good.
    Look south down into the Jungle . Remember seeing lead ball being made by one of the bigger pellet manufacturers there .
    That or Eastern Europe .