Thread: BSA Magnum 240 Air Pistol !

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

BSA Magnum 240 Air Pistol !

Just taken ownership of a superb example of the above in .22 Cal. courtesy of a fine Gentleman on here !

Been meaning to get one for years but never got round to it and I am well chuffed with it. Virtually Mint, in original box and shoots beautifully.

I've already had several brands of pellet through it but I'll be taking it down to the local range next week to try others and put it through its paces. So far it seems to like Defiant pellets and shoots the 5.6mm Vintage pretty well !

It sits well in my hand and balances well, more so in fact than a HW 45 Silver Star I had for a while and recently sold. In fact I would rate the overall build quality just about on a par with the Weihrauch !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Just taken ownership of a superb example of the above in .22 Cal. courtesy of a fine Gentleman on here !

Been meaning to get one for years but never got round to it and I am well chuffed with it. Virtually Mint, in original box and shoots beautifully.

I've already had several brands of pellet through it but I'll be taking it down to the local range next week to try others and put it through its paces. So far it seems to like Defiant pellets and shoots the 5.6mm Vintage pretty well !

It sits well in my hand and balances well, more so in fact than a HW 45 Silver Star I had for a while and recently sold. In fact I would rate the overall build quality just about on a par with the Weihrauch !
    On par with Weihrauch......i didnt!
    The internal plastic cross section guide rod wears and bends and needs replacing to realise full performance but its intergral to the end cap and needs a skilled machinist to sort.
    I used Delrin machined to a nice running fit instead of tight like stock.
    I found the angled breech caused the breech seal to play up as it constantly tried to cant over slightly more on one side than the other due to the angle of the mating faces, eventually leading to failure.
    Trigger average and the cocking stirrup failing on me after approx 5000 rounds.

In comparison, the 45s guide is much more solid and relaible but also easily swaps out for custom guides which cannot be had for the Magnum.
    The breech design, with simple but much more reliable O ring is flawless.
    The cocking stirrups will never fail and the trigger near match quality..

The 45 is a different class really but the Magnum did look better ....the 45 always looked a tad top heavy to me .

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    On par with Weihrauch......i didnt!
    The internal plastic cross section guide rod wears and bends and needs replacing to realise full performance but its intergral to the end cap and needs a skilled machinist to sort.
    I used Delrin machined to a nice running fit instead of tight like stock.
    I found the angled breech caused the breech seal to play up as it constantly tried to cant over slightly more on one side than the other due to the angle of the mating faces, eventually leading to failure.
    Trigger average and the cocking stirrup failing on me after approx 5000 rounds.

In comparison, the 45s guide is much more solid and relaible but also easily swaps out for custom guides which cannot be had for the Magnum.
    The breech design, with simple but much more reliable O ring is flawless.
    The cocking stirrups will never fail and the trigger near match quality..

The 45 is a different class really but the Magnum did look better ....the 45 always looked a tad top heavy to me .
    Was unaware of this being new to the pistol. Thanks for the info !
    “An airgun or two”………

I wouldn't worry too much unless you intend to put 5000 pellets through it

Its doubtful I'll ever get anywhere close to 5000 pellets.
    I don't think I put 500 though the HW 45 before I sold it !

I like this 240 Magnum though and I'll make the most of it in the near future and maybe just a little longer !
    “An airgun or two”………

.22 is the better choice.

My .177 was difficult to shoot.
    I would get the odd great shot followed by 3 or 4 not great.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    .22 is the better choice.

My .177 was difficult to shoot.
    I would get the odd great shot followed by 3 or 4 not great.
    I did muse on getting a .177 but maybe not.
    Like this .22 though !
    “An airgun or two”………

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Hello,

I used to have amagnum years back, loved the look but couldnt shoot it accurately.
    Found the grip just didnt fit my hand well, padded it out which improved it a little.
    Be interested to hear how you get on with it after you've shot it for a while
    atb
    Nige
    Formerly Ric O'shay but profile lost as not used for a very long time

I have a .177 240 Magnum & I really like it. I don't seem to have any accuracy problems with it for what I use it for (plinking & targets).

I do think it looks cool

I have shot a couple of 240's, never owed one, one day one day
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.