Thread: Conicals for ML pistols?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I agree it is doubtful that a nitro conversion would also replace the barrel on grounds of expense, but when I wrote I was thinking particularly of the modern products typified by the inventive Mr Westlake. Some are m/l conversions of S5 handguns and I believe that some are made entirely by Mr Westlake. I have no specific knowledge but it seems to me that either could have a twist rate more suited to bullets. Irrelevant to the thread as it turns out.

Back to the thread - it occurs to me that there might be some difficulty in inserting a bullet using the built in rammer arrangement because there is insufficient clearance with the rammer fully raised. It would still be possible to load the cylinder off the gun and various contrivances are available (or can easily be made) to facilitate this.

WRT "man thing" - a bullet will allow less space for powder. The ROA with ball and a maximal charge of BP (IIRC about 40 gn) produces an impressive bang, a clearly supersonic ball, and prodigious amounts of smoke I guess the 230 gn bullet will give lots of recoil but there will perforce be less powder behind it so perhaps not so testosterone inducing?
    I didn't know that Mr Westlake made conversions of S5 firearms in .44/.45cal, not ever having seen any. However, his .38cal firearms are certainly designed with modern bullets in mind, as they shoot .38cal wadcutters which are .357" diameter.

I already mentioned the possible lack of clearance when trying to load a conical in a tight frame - not being all that familiar with the R&S, I can't say that this would, in fact, be the case. I only ever shot ball in mine about thirty-five years ago. For sure, taking the cylinder off to load it would obviate any problem there.

tac

Just a knock on from what Tac was just saying..I had a good try with conicals, in my Rem1858, around 30 years ago and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get them to compare with a good round ball for accuracy.

However, I still have a hankering to do some experiments with full wadcutters in a M/L revolver or my LePage - maybe a short stubby solid base W/C.
    The wadcutters certainly shot well in my K38 and .32 target pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Just a knock on from what Tac was just saying..I had a good try with conicals, in my Rem1858, around 30 years ago and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get them to compare with a good round ball for accuracy.

However, I still have a hankering to do some experiments with full wadcutters in a M/L revolver or my LePage - maybe a short stubby solid base W/C.
    The wadcutters certainly shot well in my K38 and .32 target pistols.
    Custom mould needed for any calibre muzzleloader and wadcutters......

Good luck. Jeff Tanner might be able to help out.

tac