Thread: BSA Golstar stripped

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

BSA Golstar stripped

You might have seen my thread about the stuck mag, but as well as that my problem-child Goldstar sounded like Zebedee, rattled your fillings and produced a whopping 8 1/2 ft/lb!!

I've never bothered making bits for the BSA's before. The rear spring retaining pin means any attempt at making an improved rear guide would result in it snapping, the springs are often varying in size but always a rubbish fit to the steel guide and it just seemed a pointless task. But I wanted this Goldstar to be a good gun, so I had to do something.

After stripping it down, clearing out the grease accumulated over many years and throwing away the bent spring, I went through all the springs I had to see if any would work. Lo and behold! The HW97 export spring is a snug fit on the guide and around 30mm longer than the knackered one I'd removed. Thats good, so was the fact the HW97 top hat and slip washer fit the piston well too! So it went back together with just a dab of hi moly paste for testing. Recoil is down, twang has gone, cocking effort is even reduced and the power is just on 11.6 ft/lb with superdomes.

Now I know they're so easy to do I might start looking at other BSA's
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Good effort mate, i was very fond of the goldstar but never got to own one, instead i have had various superstars and all three were super smooth to cock and the firing cycle was good, had i been able to put one of your kits in im sure it would have made it even better!

My only gripe with the bsa goldstar/superstar was that stupid maxi rail!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone wolf 2LI View Post
    Good effort mate, i was very fond of the goldstar but never got to own one, instead i have had various superstars and all three were super smooth to cock and the firing cycle was good, had i been able to put one of your kits in im sure it would have made it even better!

Exactly my sentiments also. The Maxi Grip is nice but the equivalent Diana raised rail is far superior.
    My .22 SuperStar groups under an 1" at 25 yards but is very twangy; indicative of poorly fitting steel guide and inaccurate internal sizing without the benefit of a good quality piston sleeve. The SuperStar just gives a tad more satisfaction unlike something the HW77 can provide. Don't get me wrong my 1985 Ken Turner tuned HW77 will outshoot me day and night.
    Last edited by derekj; 08-08-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Goldstar / Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone wolf 2LI View Post

Yes I found these super guns- wanted the Goldstar but after a Theoben version , decided on later is better . But in the end the Superstar just beats them for ease . But for that rail .
    Somewhere I posted on a different thread that if you whack it to slideit off , well one I saw was cracked .