Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the most inaccurate airgun you know of ?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    I was with Siggy on this one, I always understood it to be the inertia affect of the barrel thrown forward and suddenly stopping that "threw the pellet" forwards, I certainly don't remember seeing a transfer port of any description.
    Every days a school day

The probe pushes it past the tp. The barrel shoots out at around 8mph I can assure you the pellet travels a little faster than this.
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    It has its own Wiki page!

This forward-moving barrel has given rise to the view that the Gat is not an air weapon at all, but simply a spring catapult.
    This is incorrect.
    The piston is a leather seal around the outside of the inner barrel,
    running in a larger concentric cylinder within the receiver.
    The barrel and piston are driven forward when fired,
    air passing into the chamber from two small transfer ports drilled at the rear of the barrel,
    just ahead of the leather seal.
    Master Debater

gat gun, but on other hand hours n hours of fun had with gat gun in the 70s,i remember when i couldnt afford pellets i used to cut plastic ends off shoe laces push a needle though make lil darts ha,milbro/deadshot catty after i lost darts lol.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    and uses air to propel the pellet/dart/woodlouse like any other.
    4.52mm JSB Exact Woodlouse no doubt...

I wish I had kept my Gat gun . They go for ridiculous money these days. I think they were £15 new when I bought mine in secondary school.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I wish I had kept my Gat gun . They go for ridiculous money these days. I think they were £15 new when I bought mine in secondary school.
    When the gat slug gun was the rage you could have a remington automatic 12 gauge shotgun on the same 10 shillings licence
    Don't it seem hard to believe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Blimey, that must have been a late model. Mine was 8s 6d in about 1959 - which for the uninitiated is 42.5p! I remember because my parents gave me the 5 shillings as part of my birthday present, but I had to save the 3s 6d from my paper round earnings (I was 10 or 11 at the time!). Probably around £15 - 20 in today's money.

Leaving the dear old Gat aside, most inaccurate PCP I've ever shot was a Kral Breaker/Puncher - unbelievably crap. A smooth twist, .177 FX Bobcat 2 was a close second. The nastiest, tattiest, most inaccurate springer was also a Kral, the aptly named 'Devil'.

Alan

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I always remember them being for sale in my local newsagents on the shelf.

That won't happen nowadays!
    Master Debater

I've never shot/owned a Gat so can only take their inaccuracy as read. However, I'd like to propose the SMK S2 pistol, possibly a little sister to the B2 rifle and difficult to decide which is the most inaccurate, at any range. The pistol is a slab at just over a kilo and I would describe the trigger as either 'On' or 'Off'. The trigger has a very heavy pull and there is absolutely no warning of when, during its travel, the sear will be released. To make this worse, it seems to release at a different point every time! It kicks like a mule on discharge and it is therefore impossible to keep it pointing at the target, of any size! The safest place to be when this pistol is fired, is possibly in front of the intended target. (For those who believe everything they see written, please take this last statement as very tongue-in-cheek.)(Or not. )
    When cocked, it's easy to move the loose foresight without knowing it (unless it's now at 90°!) and this doesn't help the accuracy either.

Have to agree on the RO71 /Panther pistol.

Also had a Slavia 622 which was equally appalling in the pellet/target interface stakes.

And my mate's dad's Relum Zephyr was also a tragedy.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

GAT asides, my mates Stoeger X20, shame it handles nicely, trigger a bit duff, but I like the gun, can't hit oil cans let alone tins
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by Shootfish View Post
    I've never shot/owned a Gat so can only take their inaccuracy as read. However, I'd like to propose the SMK S2 pistol, possibly a little sister to the B2 rifle and difficult to decide which is the most inaccurate, at any range. The pistol is a slab at just over a kilo and I would describe the trigger as either 'On' or 'Off'. The trigger has a very heavy pull and there is absolutely no warning of when, during its travel, the sear will be released. To make this worse, it seems to release at a different point every time! It kicks like a mule on discharge and it is therefore impossible to keep it pointing at the target, of any size! The safest place to be when this pistol is fired, is possibly in front of the intended target. (For those who believe everything they see written, please take this last statement as very tongue-in-cheek.)(Or not. )
    When cocked, it's easy to move the loose foresight without knowing it (unless it's now at 90°!) and this doesn't help the accuracy either.
    My Westlake S2 must have used all the glue up, I can't shift my foresight for love nor money!

I/O trigger is right enough though, thoroughly nasty POS. God only knows what power it's making, I need to get a benchmark as I was going to mod it for the fun of it.