Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: project Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    It's been a while since I had any s200 barrels ,
    But pretty sure there was some labelling to indicate cz origin.

Done a few for tx now although the 15 mm dia gives less of a shoulder than the 16 would,

Concentricity has been pretty good too on most .
    They seem tightish in the bore so might need a polish.

As a finished s200 barrel it would need post to rod or collect .
    I asked them To chop a 1/2" off the breech so it didn't fit s200 any more

Got no evidence whatsoever and again can't remember why but had strong ideas that these go onto some isp guns

Lately been using v shArp hss to machine to avoid galling more visible under magnification
    They sound pretty tough then was going to use a carbide tool, i live pretty close to knibbs so can pick it up . not keen on polishing though, wouldn't want to mess it up.

Just finding suitable pellets then nick

S I now have an s200 barrel in my possession, so how long do I want it , I hear longer is better with springers , I can go 50mm longer than standard TX maximum, as I am making the shroud myself any Ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    S I now have an s200 barrel in my possession, so how long do I want it , I hear longer is better with springers , I can go 50mm longer than standard TX maximum, as I am making the shroud myself any Ideas ?
    It depends what you are trying to do and to a certain extent the design of the springer. If you go too long for the internal design of your springer the pellet will slow down too much in the barrel and you will loose energy and efficiency. This may lead to you increasing preload or spring rates in order to recover the energy which will alter the feel of your gun. Short strokes tend to need shorter barrels to achieve maximum energy compared to long strokes.
    If you are not concerned with energy or energy efficiency then you have to think about shot timing at pellet exit compared to what the gun is doing and how this will vary from pellet to pellet. This will effect pellet dispersion at the target. In addition there is also optimal barrel timing based on longitudinal shockwave theory though I am not sure how relevant this is to air rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    It depends what you are trying to do and to a certain extent the design of the springer. If you go too long for the internal design of your springer the pellet will slow down too much in the barrel and you will loose energy and efficiency. This may lead to you increasing preload or spring rates in order to recover the energy which will alter the feel of your gun. Short strokes tend to need shorter barrels to achieve maximum energy compared to long strokes.
    If you are not concerned with energy or energy efficiency then you have to think about shot timing at pellet exit compared to what the gun is doing and how this will vary from pellet to pellet. This will effect pellet dispersion at the target. In addition there is also optimal barrel timing based on longitudinal shockwave theory though I am not sure how relevant this is to air rifles.
    So its a 22mm conversion , I have found the small comp tube tunes suit the full length barrel, so wondered if a little longer would improve things , just heard someone has done something similar with the same barrel as i have and they say shot cycle is softer , and accuracy is there.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    I am on the look out for a barrel for a project I am in the middle of , it needs to be 177 and the same length as a full length TX, diameter isnt important as I can alter it.
    I spotted bsa barrels on the Knibbs web site at a good price , are they any good ? also seen the hw barrels for sale and of course the lothar walther blanks , and as its for a TX obviously a standard one , I would like to make an improvement over standard if possible but only want to buy one . So any Ideas?
    John Bowket had a quantity of 26" Walther barrel blanks for sale in a clearout. He may have some left? Worth a call.