Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying a pistol

Considering buying a pistol

I haven't used an air gun since I had a Gat in my early teens. I'm considering a H45 or a Webley Tempest. There is about £100 difference between the two and Im a bit apprehensive about shelling out for a new past time I'm not sure I'll take to. Also considering trying to find a second hand pistol to start with. I!m goilg to use it for target practise, plinking in the garden, any suggestions ?

I have a HW45 (.22) and it's a great gun. Not easy to shoot well but as with most things practice makes perfect *grin*. They do come up on the second hand quite often.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

Buy this

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Tempest-in-177

Its an original Birmingham made Webley Tempest.

The new ones are made in Turkey. This has been the case since about 2006.

They are lovely pistols. Compact, accurate and quiet enough for the garden. Plus you won't lose any money on this if you come to sell it.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

I have an HW45 in .22 & a Webley Tempest in .177.

They're both fantastic pistols. The HW45 is a bazooka that's a lot of fun, the Tempest just a lovely British plinker that's also heaps of fun.

As a first proper air-pistol I'd get the Tempest (it was what I got), you can shoot it all afternoon & it'll make you smile . The boxed .177 mentioned above looks cool & to be honest if I didn't have one already I'd have bought it myself by now

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Some people rave about the HW45, personally I just couldn't bond with mine and sold it on. I have a couple of Tempests though. It's horses for courses really,maybe someone will come forward local to you who has a few pistols and could let you have a plink,nothin like abit of try before you buy.

They are both great choices (as long as the Tempest is a Birmingham-made one).

Other good springer choices on the second-hand market are Webley Premiers and Seniors, and the Original/Diana LP5.

PRE-OWNED first then

Buy new only as a last resort .
    Plenty good airguns out there secondhand .
    Try out as many as you like first .
    Mind thats how you build up a small collection in no time .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Buy new only as a last resort .
    Plenty good airguns out there secondhand .
    Try out as many as you like first .
    Mind thats how you build up a small collection in no time .
    Totally agree with Jimny4x4 on all points there.

Is your heart set on those two Pistols yes there are both very nice, but there are some other good ones out there, if you don't want the extra expense of Co2 capsules, the Single Stroke Pneumatic's are a great way to go especially for target work, you don't have the recoil you get from the springers. Models like the HW40, Gamo Compact or PR-45 and the Alecto can be picked up reasonably cheap, these a PR-45 on here for £50 at the moment.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

I agree that a single stroke pneumatic would be the ideal reintroduction to the sport.
    Tempests are ok for nostalgia but unfortunately not very accurate.
    A hw40 won't break the bank and if you're hitting what you aim at you're more likely to stick at it

Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    I agree that a single stroke pneumatic would be the ideal reintroduction to the sport.
    Tempests are ok for nostalgia but unfortunately not very accurate.
    A hw40 won't break the bank and if you're hitting what you aim at you're more likely to stick at it
    Tempests are accurate in the hands of a good pistol shooter. Okay they're not 10m match pistols but for popping tomatoes and cans in the garden they are spot on.

I left my Steyr LP2 at home this morning and shot some great scores with my Typhoon. A sister of the Tempest and Hurricane. Fun is what keeps you coming back.
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    I left my Steyr LP2 at home this morning and shot some great scores with my Typhoon. A sister of the Tempest and Hurricane. Fun is what keeps you coming back.
    And fun is what the UBC is all about, so when you get your new pistol click HERE and have a go at our competitions.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Interested in this Tempest

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Tempest-in-177

Its an original Birmingham made Webley Tempest.

The new ones are made in Turkey. This has been the case since about 2006.

They are lovely pistols. Compact, accurate and quiet enough for the garden. Plus you won't lose any money on this if you come to sell it.
    Thanks for the replys. I may be interested in this Tempest but unfortunately as Im a new member I dont have privileges to view trade/for sale posts. Not sure how long this will last for or if theres another way eg private messaging me. Im inclined towards the old Webleys, Tempest or Premier. Its probably a nostalgia thing as a mate had one in the early 70's and I was dead envious.

Perterfs - I'll get the seller to contact you via PM.

I don't think that will break any rules. If anybody knows if this is an infringement of forum rules, please let me know.

Thansk

Gareth W-B is online now Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

Perterfs - I'll get the seller to contact you via PM.

I don't think that will break any rules. If anybody knows if this is an infringement of forum rules, please let me know.

Thansk
    Cheers Neil. Top chap. I'll p-m Perterfs right now.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gareth W-B is online now Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Cheers Neil. Top chap. I'll p-m Perterfs right now.
    Tempest now sold to peterfs. Oh how I do love it when a plan comes together.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.