Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw77 vs hw95

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Hw77 vs hw95

This here '95 seems alot more jumpy than my 77. Running about the same power in .177. Will accuracy test later, but it seems that a big heavy scope and a barrel sleeve will be necessary to get it feeling nice.

No wonder they made the HW98.

The 95 is probably OK in .22 but it feels a bit snappy in .177.

Is the 99 like this only worse?

I now can see why people like the HW80 as the big heavy softly sprung .177 must be nicer to shoot than the 95.

I suppose it depends what you prefer.
    I have the HW95k in .22 and It's really nice to shoot.

I tried an 80 and it felt super-heavy. The difference is only 500grammes or something but it felt like a ton.

Ouch!
    Ouch!
    Barn Door Scarer
    HW95k .22, HW50s .22, BSA Goldstar SE .177, AA 510 Ult Sporter .177

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    This here '95 seems alot more jumpy than my 77. Running about the same power in .177. Will accuracy test later, but it seems that a big heavy scope and a barrel sleeve will be necessary to get it feeling nice.

I now can see why people like the HW80 as the big heavy softly sprung .177 must be nicer to shoot than the 95.
    Your conclusion is correct and my experience too. To rectify the jumpiness in the 95 has occupied quite a bit of my time over the years. You either need to change the barrel for the shrouded HW98 one or add a reasonably substantial muzzle weight/moderator at the front end. I use the ones I bought from Jonny Neate on here . The '98 rebarrel' option is probably the most effective solution: it works well but somewhat negates the point of having the 95 in the first place. However even with the 98 barrel the rig ends up weighing less than the HW80 so is a worthwhile exercise. Both with comparable stocks-I have a Maccari sporter on my 98 and a CS800 on my HW80.
    I have tried quite a few modifications in order to have the benefit of the lighter 95 rig with reduced flip. The first thing obviously is to have a highly tuned 95 in the first place. Something like an SFS Banshee or Lazaglide/V Glide is a great starting point but expensive. I had a tuned 95 in .177, fitted a 98 barrel and it works really well with massively reduced flip. The HW80 is not immune from flip either but it is less pronounced than the one you get from the 95 or Webley Longbow. The other thing which helps a great deal is to run your 95/98 with as short a lock time as possible. Or as an alternative you could just buy a Fenman -preferably in .20- and forget everything else. As a real outside alternative, try a Walther LGV-you will be amazed.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

My experience too.

I really wanted to like the 95 in 177 - so much so that after I'd moved one on, I decided to try again and bought another. I moved the second one on within a fortnight.

Now I have an LGV, which is a much better mannered and more accurate gun.

I also have the HW99s in 22, and it is a joy to shoot.

I would never buy another 95 unless I intended to have it short stroked, shrouded, etc. In other words unless I were prepared to spend quite a bit of money on it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

77or 95

A hw 77 in .177 or ,22,lovely guns ,,hw95 in .22 lovely gun tuned right but in .177 is you are right can be jumpy.i had a .177 barrel and a .22 barrel and as said the .22 was a lot better and a barrel weight on them as well .

I had a 95 in. 177, not for long though just recently got another but in. 22 and have fitted a Parker Hale steel silencer to add weight to the muzzle, hopefully it should work a treat, fingers crossed i must admitt though that the 99 is the nicer gun to shoot and easier to achive good accuracy, so why do i want a 95
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Al, if you are up for swinging by sometime, you can try my 99 .177
    Personally I think it shoots massively better than either the 95 or the 98 I had

In fact, it shoots very similar to the 26mm HW77k I have here - but obviously with the 77s extra weight, it's that little bit calmer..

(All in .177)

Yep I have to agree ".177" is not the best calibre for a "95k" I moved mine on for this very reason, to jumpy, to snappy and to much flip !!!

I'm looking to replace it with one in .22 !!!...

I had a 98 in .177, inastantly hated it, and sold it. Now I have a 95K in .22 and love it, it is in a 98 adjustable stock though
    Pick up your gun, shove a bullet up the spout
    It's the Major Dennis Bloodnok Rock'n' Roll Call Tango

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

if you fire a 99 ,you will prob never touch your 95 again.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Yep I have to agree ".177" is not the best calibre for a "95k" I moved mine on for this very reason, to jumpy, to snappy and to much flip !!!
    )
    My .177, although nice and smooth, is just a tad too lively and I'll have a play to calm it down sometime, when I get the chance.

Don't write the 95 off just yet. Clez's 95, which I had the undoubted pleasure of sampling at one of last year's Boinger Bash events was truly sublime. Smooth and very inert. Supposedly just a V-Mach kit and polish although Rickenbacker thinks that there may be a little more than that going on with it....Whatever, it was simply sublime.

Although I can't argue with anyone's positive observations on the 99, if I had to choose between these two guns, I would actually favour the 95 for the one piece cocking lever giving smoother action and less effort, but accept that a little fettling is required to get it just so.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Three months must have passed, another rerun of the h w's, no such thing as the best, what suits you, 99 best hw from box, repeat every three months ,

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    I have never fired the 77 but I love my 95K.

Last summer I bought an HW95K.177 stage 1 tuned. Did a bit of garden practice but it hasn't seen much action until today. A nice still morning on a brand new permission, strictly pest control. In the hour I could spare, it accounted for two rabbits at 30 yards and then because of the confidence I have in the rifle and the still conditions I took another at 50 yards. This is a range I would never have previously attempted but the rifle is so good in the right conditions that it was a piece of cake.

I previously owned an AA 410s and a falcon Lighthunter, this 95K is easily as accurate and much more enjoyable to shoot.
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Just did some accuracy testing, in terms of potential accuracy HW95 is the equal of the HW77 but it is much, much harder to get this consistently. Technique and concentration have to be spot on all the time. The HW77 is much more forgiving and unless you are a brilliant top shot, generally more accurate than the HW95.

People need to give figures for this.

I have seen reviews in which people have said 3/4" to -1" groups at 30 yards rested from the bench were good.

I disagree.

OK for hunting maybe, but even a cheap Chinese springer can do this on paper.

I am very sceptical about accuracy claims re. the HW95 in 177. I've had two of them. And a 98 which, although better, wasn't as good as my HW77.

There are much better guns out there for the smaller calibre.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.