Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Had less than a tin of pellets through it"?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

"Had less than a tin of pellets through it"?

How often do I read that phrase, and how the Hell can it be possible? Do these people not enjoy shooting?

Two weeks ago I recieved 2k of FTT for my Fenman and 1k AA Fields for my Sumatra GCG, today I realised I need to order more of both!

Any recomendations for bulk buy outlets appreciated.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    How often do I read that phrase, and how the Hell can it be possible? Do these people not enjoy shooting?

Two weeks ago I recieved 2k of FTT for my Fenman and 1k AA Fields for my Sumatra GCG, today I realised I need to order more of both!

Clearly you need to own more guns - only once the obsession leading to the quantity followed by the possibility one has a problem that despite shooting every time life allows some of your kit doesn't get used - the question looms in the darkest depths of your mind - Have I got to many? followed by the terrible possibility that indeed is the case.

Or, they are married....

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I can easily go through a tin in one sitting.
    Master Debater

What about our sponsor JSR. Sure he'd do a deal on bulk buys.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post

I put over two hundred pellets in each of my two guns that I take to the range each week and I only stay a short while compared to the others.
    I must have bought over 15 tins of 4.52, 4.43, 5.52 and 5.51 since Feb.
    When I am testing it could be as many as 150 pellets to settle the power and internals only.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I can easily go through a tin in one sitting.
    Don't think he's talking peaches here
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

i must get through a least 1000-1200 per month between the plinking range, HFT range and over the fields/garden
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC

Well I hate shooting paper, so my Rapids get 1 magazine each combined chrono & zero check maybe twice a year (12 pellets) after that it's 1 pellet per Rabbit/Rat/Magpie/Crow/Jay shot, probably works out less than a mag a month across the year

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    BAR are good if you want to order 10+ tins and mix n match. Countryway are also fairly competitive depending on pellets - or then you can import from the EU web sites, but there is not as much difference these days in price.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I try to buy a full sleeve at a time. that's 5k. I like to know there all the same batch then there's less chuffing about. Nice if you get a good batch, not so good if its a bad batch!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    I try to buy a full sleeve at a time. that's 5k. I like to know there all the same batch then there's less chuffing about. Nice if you get a good batch, not so good if its a bad batch!
    "As rich as Barnsley!" That's a phrase we hear a lot down here.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    This thread got me wondering just how many pellets I do shoot over a one hour or two hour range session !
    I'm talking springers here and obviously there are springers and there are springers !

Some like a lightweight break barrel allow you to cock, load and shoot pretty quickly, others like a side lever with bear-trap release take longer and if you're a Southpaw like me, take longer still !

I deduced, that on average like, that it would take " a shot per minute" allowing for all the above plus aiming. So that would be 60 shots per hour approx. !

You have to build in another factor in that as you go along your cocking arm begins to tire and so the rate of fire drops. Take this over two or three hours and other factors kick in like you end up chatting with fellow shooters so the end result is all a bit of a mish-mash !

I also save the score cards and count the number of pellet holes so that gives me a good idea on what number of pellets I get through.

On a slightly different tack, down at the Spring Bash I do put in quite a bit of time in putting a lot of lead down the range and although my arm gets tired from the constant cocking of the barrel or under lever, I never seem to get through as many pellets as I imagine.
    On average over the two days, I shoot approximently two tins of pellets which is only two 500 tins making a total of only 1000 pellets !

I wont/cant comment on PCP usage as that revolves around loading multi-shot mags which may or may not take more or less time ?

To conclude however, in my mind, it takes more time than you (I) imagine to shoot say a thousand pellets !
    “An airgun or two”………

We used to have a member that would not leave until he had used a full tin of pellets per visit !
    500 pellets each time .
    Magazine fed Rifle so was more than 1 per minute , still couldn't hit a barn door , or should I say , anyone else using his rifle couldn't .
    Sadly no longer with us
    R.I.P Don.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Lightbulb

I'd say the people who put less than 1 tin though their guns got the rifle/pistol on a whim without thinking about the time it takes to find a good club or perhaps had less time for things like shooting than they'd imagined.

I guesstimate 50-100 pistol shots at the start of the club session, then after break-time I rattle off 5 HW100 magazines (70 pellets) and finally move on to my TX200 which has a fairly long cocking cycle even though I'm pretty efficient with it - maybe 50-70 pellets since it's the last gun I shoot in the last 15-20 minutes of range time. It still surprises me with it's accuracy when I'm paying due care and attention.

I should probably start to mix things up a bit !
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

My Galatian on ticket has done about 2000 pellets over two years which is a lot of dead stuff. Gladius sub 12 about 1000 over one year. I have just sold a HW97KT which had been zeroed and used once for a garden plink, less than a tin was a fair description because it had about 30 missing from the full tin it came with. I just didn't fall in love with it. On the other hand the PS has had 500 in a week.
    Last edited by Rob Edge; 12-08-2017 at 06:02 AM.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk