Quote Originally Posted by phil384 View Post
Yes, factory PPU is giving me 3" groups as are my first few batches of reloads. Factory RWS ( I just happen to have also bought RWS Brass) rounds are much better. I see what you mean, If the factory RWS is getting me close to where I want to be then use that COL as a guide.
Here is my 2 p or cents: You say that you can get 1 inch groups with RWS but not with your hand loads or PPU. This tells me that your barrel should be able to shoot accurately (RWS) but your hand load with good bullets is poor. Firstly small changes to COL might make some change to accuracy but they are not going to be great. eg. I built a 378 Weatherby Mag. but designed the reamer to "improve" it slightly reducing case taper and blowing out the venturi shoulder. But, I incorporated HALF AN INCH of freebore (Early Weatherby's had free bores up to 3/4 inch; don't know about now) and this monster shot sub inch groups with 270 grain Hornady's @ 3206 f/s (shot to shot with this load was very good but poor with another using a different primer)-but it hurt off the bench! Most if not all my accuracy problems have been related to poor bullets (your Hornady should be ok) or sub standard ignition (primer) or perhaps most likely erratic powder burn which may be related to unsuitable powder (too fast/slow). However, even if you use a fast or slow powder providing that the load burns uniformly shot to shot you still should be able to get reasonable accuracy. Therefore it is possible that your handloads are erratic in shot to shot. Have you put your reloads across the chrono? How hot are your reloads? Remember that the load data as published is pertinent to their gun and possibly not yours. If you do not know how to work up loads then perhaps reading the sticky "A good read for reloaders" would be useful. Finally, I suggest that investing in a chronograph will save you wasted ammo and even "make you cry" when you see the results. I bought my first chronograph in 1970 and could not live without one!
Cheers