Thread: A puzzling Haenel 28

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A bit of an oddity, would be interesting to see an alternative view to get a look at the front & back starp, just to see if there is any evidence of alterations etc. Or a picture with the side plates off. Side plate screws seem to me to be in contrast with the quality of the rest of the work. The notches are odd too but seem pretty evenly spaced for an ad hoc tally of what ever was being recorded. Only one medallion? Looks like it to me, if it's there its under the lot no. & then the side plates wouldn't be symmetrical, so I think it's just one. Would a factory alteration be symmetrical,to my way of thinking ,yes. Funny toe tang possibly to help prevent the hand slipping during cocking. A shortened grip wouldn't help with the leverage during cocking that's for sure. They aren't that easy to cock at the best of times. Might be wrong, just my initial thoughts.

If you look very carefully just about the protustion of the grip, you can see a join line and the colour of the metal changes very subtly. The grips are far from original I'm sure we all agree. The grain is in the wrong direction and the wood does not appear to be the type normally found on these pistols. The question is, how was this section added as other have said, there is no signs of a weld. Perhaps it has been drilled and tapped and screws fitted somewhere.