Thread: I've inherited BSA Superstar that needs some TLC.

I've inherited BSA Superstar that needs some TLC.

When my grandfather passed away few years ago, amongst the items that were shared out between the grand children, it was his wish I was to inherit his well cared for .22 BSA Supersport Mk2.

It is a bit harsh to shoot right now using RWS Superdomes, but I'm pretty certain it has never been serviced.

So what I was wondering was, with a full service kit fitted could this rifle be as accurate and consistent as a tuned HW77?

What I especially like about the Superstar is the rotary breech design, two stage trigger and manual rocker safety catch. What are your thoughts on this fine rifle gentlemen? Many thanks. Martin.

I should start by pointing out that the sum total of my experience of the Superstar was removing the cropped, unfinished aftermarket mainspring from a .25" example yesterday morning, calculating the spring stiffness and preload needed for 11 ft. lb. with the owner's preferred Rhino pellets, shortening the spring and finishing the end, reassembling and testing.

The rifle returned 11 - 11.2 ft. lb., is as consistent as variations in the pellet weight allow, and has a fairly pleasing quick yet gentle shot cycle.

On the basis of my observations, the rifle shoots well in the large calibre, but is let down by the trigger. I would not put it in the same class as an HW77.

Nonetheless, your grandfather's rifle is well worth working on. I would start by checking the piston and breech seals, as in .22" it should not be harsh, suggesting air leakage.

Superstar

There is a mention on another thread about this super airgun and the other one , the Goldstar .
    BTDT can you advise on any methodolgy to remove the rubber mounted scope rail ?
    As just mentioned on my post elsewhere literally a few minutes ago , I have seen these rails whacked off leaving them cracked ( they are made from alloy ) .

An added bonus of the Superstar is that its one of the safest rifles (to cock) with no fingers going anywhere near the man traps of some other designs.

I have to agree with the very learned previous poster (BTDT) with regards to the trigger and comparison to the HW77.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    There is a mention on another thread about this super airgun and the other one , the Goldstar .
    BTDT can you advise on any methodolgy to remove the rubber mounted scope rail ?
    As just mentioned on my post elsewhere literally a few minutes ago , I have seen these rails whacked off leaving them cracked ( they are made from alloy ) .
    I drifted the rail off a Lightning XL in the traditional manner using a lump of Delrin and a hammer some years ago, but then discovered that I could use a sash cramp, both to remove and refit.

Thank you gentlemen for all of your constructive useful replies. I have chronograph the Superstar and it averaged out over 20 shots at 610 FPS. It just has a lot of vibration upon firing, which is the harshness I was referring to. The two stage trigger is nice and predictable though, well up to sporting use I would of thought? The thing to remember though is the rifle was stored away for many years mostly because of granddads ill health and is probably as dry as a bone internally, even reasonably still smooth to cock without any graunching noises; the rotating breech is quite stiff though and I know you mustn't try and rotate until the action is in the fully cocked state. Granddad always reminded me and my cousins about this and how it would strip the breech washer! As a precaution, I've decided not to shoot it any more until it has been serviced by myself, or preferably a gun smith. Thank you again every one. Kind regards. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    I drifted the rail off a Lightning XL in the traditional manner using a lump of Delrin and a hammer some years ago, but then discovered that I could use a sash cramp, both to remove and refit.
    Thanks ! Never though of a sash cramp .

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I always found the triggers excellent on the Superstars and can say they are well up there with the Rekord unit, may be I was lucky and had a good one but I can also say that I've had some horrid Rekord units as well.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I always found the triggers excellent on the Superstars and can say they are well up there with the Rekord unit, may be I was lucky and had a good one but I can also say that I've had some horrid Rekord units as well.

Pete
    I agree Pete, the rifle I have in my possession has a very good two stage trigger. I short first stage, and a clean crisp second stage let off. I could make it go lighter but will leave it for the time being.

What I'd need to know now though and it may sound a silly question; but what size screwdriver do I need for that awkward bolt behind the trigger blade? I think BSA could've made the access hole in the guard a little bit bigger though.

Thanks to all for the helpful input on this thread. Much appreciated. Martin.

BTDT- so you bought that .25 carbine? Let me know if you get bored and want to sell.

The .22 version I bought off John Budd is lovely to shoot and really consistent. 556 fps every time. Never seen that before and I thought I'd broken the chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    BTDT- so you bought that .25 carbine? Let me know if you get bored and want to sell.

The .22 version I bought off John Budd is lovely to shoot and really consistent. 556 fps every time. Never seen that before and I thought I'd broken the chronograph.
    Hi Andy,

The .25" Superstar belongs to a friend, who left it with me 'to play with', which translates as setting it at 11 ft. lb. with his chosen pellet. The shot cycle is very pleasant. I'll tell him of your interest should he decide to sell.

Hi Andy,

The .25" Superstar belongs to a friend, who left it with me 'to play with', which translates as setting it at 11 ft. lb. with his chosen pellet. The shot cycle is very pleasant. I'll tell him of your interest should he decide to sell.
    Thanks

BB

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by martin75 View Post
    I agree Pete, the rifle I have in my possession has a very good two stage trigger. I short first stage, and a clean crisp second stage let off. I could make it go lighter but will leave it for the time being.

What I'd need to know now though and it may sound a silly question; but what size screwdriver do I need for that awkward bolt behind the trigger blade? I think BSA could've made the access hole in the guard a little bit bigger though.

Thanks to all for the helpful input on this thread. Much appreciated. Martin.
    Glad you agree with me, the Superstars I've owned have indeed had very nice triggers, I found the first stage to be light with no grittiness and then a lovely positive stop with a very crisp let off, better than any Rekord trigger I've ever used.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Have two Superstars...both .177 and fettled by SFS...used them to teach kids at the club incl them picking off bits of clay pigeon out of the sand bank on the back of the 50m range...both go bompff not twang....and nothing wrong with the two stage triggers IMHO...i have shot hw 57 and owned a couple of hw95s too.
    Ex- Field airgun fella @ www.hprpc.co.uk

Hi Andy,

tell me first.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.