Thread: Biggest .177 pellet

Biggest .177 pellet

What's the biggest .177 pellet available? Not weight, head size. Is there much on the market over 4.53?

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    What's the biggest .177 pellet available? Not weight, head size. Is there much on the market over 4.53?
    Probably H&N rabbit magnum. Impossible to feed in even @ 4.50 mm.

A.G

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Probably H&N rabbit magnum. Impossible to feed in even @ 4.50 mm.

A.G
    Probably more to do with what its made of rather than its size.

Accupell heavys are the same.
    Master Debater

dont know if you can still get them. eley wasp 4.57. three rings before the head.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Have seen some foreign pells that are heavy but have never seen larger headsizes other than the normal up and down % of JSB's in 4.5 .
    Pray tell if its not a secret , what gun / barrel is in 4.53 ?

Tis for an airsporter. 4.52's are a loose fit into the loading tap. If I flare a pellet's skirt out a bit to make them a tighter fit in the tap, It gains 50 ft/sec (1fpe). The trouble is doing them uniformly. And of course, the time it takes to do it.

Interesting

Tis for an airsporter. 4.52's are a loose fit into the loading tap. If I flare a pellet's skirt out a bit to make them a tighter fit in the tap, It gains 50 ft/sec (1fpe). The trouble is doing them uniformly. And of course, the time it takes to do it.
    Interesting . I don't shoot .177 / 4.5 that often compared to .22 and I wonder if some the old .177 Beesa's pre War flavour would benefit from a larger headsize pell . A lot is talked about old .22 and 5.60mm for BSA's . 1ft/lb is pretty good going .

Countryway advertise the JSB Exact Diablo 4.53. Not sure if the JSB .177 Jumbo comes in bigger diameters but they weigh 13.43 grn.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Big

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Countryway advertise the JSB Exact Diablo 4.53. Not sure if the JSB .177 Jumbo comes in bigger diameters but they weigh 13.43 grn.

Baz
    Yikes , thats even heavier than than the ones I found last year .

pellet head size

I understand your frustration. Never owned an oldie in .177, but the tightest pellets I've used were bulldogs in my .22 webley Vulcan. Several pellets wouldn't actually fit in all the way, lots of modern pellets fall about 1/2 an inch into the barrel, but superdomes seem o.k.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    sensible, usable pellets, the biggest .177s I've found are the crosman premiers (boxed) and the humble RWS superdomes. Also the Bisley magnums (but a bit weighty). All group well in my large bored .177 Super10 barrel, whilst everything else is cr@p...
    As per the above, bulldogs also somewhat large, but not the most accurate.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I decided to make a little bit of kit to give me more consistent results when opening up the skirts. I took a piece of alloy and drilled a hole in it, just deep enough for a pellet to sit in. I used a 4.8 drill bit. Then drilled a fine hole down the centre of that hole to allow inserting some thing from the back to push the pellet back out after resizing. Insert the pellet and size it by pressing down on it with a suitably shaped piece of plastic or similar. I used the end of an old biro with the biro bit taken out. This opens the skirt out uniformly to the size of the hole. I think it may compress the head a bit as well and make it a tighter fit. I thought this might be a bit much, but the pellet dropped nicely into the tap with room still to spare. On to the chrono. A very consistent 710 to 715 ft/sec. Up 65 ft/sec on an unsized pellet. Now doing 9.5 fpe, which will do nicely! That's up 1.5fpe on superfield 4.51 straight out of the tin.

Given these results and the fact that the pellet was still not a flush fit in the tap, I decided to make another jig, but this time with a 5mm drill. Used this to size a few pellets and back to the chrono. This time the pellets sit absolutely flush with the top of the loading tap. Power actually went down! Only down to 690, but still down, so the original 4.8 jig seems best.

I decided to make a little bit of kit to give me more consistent results when opening up the skirts. I took a piece of alloy and drilled a hole in it, just deep enough for a pellet to sit in. I used a 4.8 drill bit. Then drilled a fine hole down the centre of that hole to allow inserting some thing from the back to push the pellet back out after resizing. Insert the pellet and size it by pressing down on it with a suitably shaped piece of plastic or similar. I used the end of an old biro with the biro bit taken out. This opens the skirt out uniformly to the size of the hole. I think it may compress the head a bit as well and make it a tighter fit. I thought this might be a bit much, but the pellet dropped nicely into the tap with room still to spare. On to the chrono. A very consistent 710 to 715 ft/sec. Up 65 ft/sec on an unsized pellet. Now doing 9.5 fpe, which will do nicely! That's up 1.5fpe on superfield 4.51 straight out of the tin.

Given these results and the fact that the pellet was still not a flush fit in the tap, I decided to make another jig, but this time with a 5mm drill. Used this to size a few pellets and back to the chrono. This time the pellets sit absolutely flush with the top of the loading tap. Power actually went down! Only down to 690, but still down, so the original 4.8 jig seems best.
    What a fantastic idea . Make me one ! make me one .Lol . I have a piece of plate and a 4.8mm drill bit looking for some work . Maybe the lack of power on the second attempt at 5mm is due to too much drag on the pellet ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    What a fantastic idea . Make me one ! make me one .Lol . I have a piece of plate and a 4.8mm drill bit looking for some work . Maybe the lack of power on the second attempt at 5mm is due to too much drag on the pellet ?
    Yup, I think 5mm was pushing the boat out bit far. It did inspire me to try a .20 pellet, but it would have needed a hefty push into the tap, then would probably have got stuck in the barrel. I did try sizing one down to 4.8, but it was hard work. It's very easy just to size the tail out to 4.8.