Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SFS Diana Mod 34 preview

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Great gun and well worth tuning, but why is it being touted as a .177 Imp? Its far bigger with much more swept volume, larger in both bore and stroke. The 280 is more "99-esque" in size.
    tony wall money making MUGS gun (as was i once. seen the light)

The SFS 34 looks a very nice performer and the accuracy looks phenomenal in this guys hands. It's good to see a Diana getting this treatment.
    I have a .177 34 myself which I'm very happy with. I was in no hurry to have it tuned until i saw this one. I hope the 34 is a success for them and will get more people into the marque. I don't think that is a daft price for what should be a great springer.

So what does a SFS tune consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by BALD ERIC View Post
    So what does a SFS tune consist of?
    Some say putting half a tube of grease in is the main part. Chop a bit of the barrel on some rifles . Bit of a de burr and put it back together then put a sticker on the compression tube and charge you about £100.

To be honest .

De burr the coking slots . Smith off rough parts . Polish trigger parts . Modify triggers if needed . Change the spring guides for better fitting ones . Chop the barrel on some rebuild and put a sticker on it.

Same as many tuners on here or other forums can do or supply bits so you can do it yourself .

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Some say putting half a tube of grease in is the main part. Chop a bit of the barrel on some rifles . Bit of a de burr and put it back together then put a sticker on the compression tube and charge you about £100.

To be honest .

De burr the coking slots . Smith off rough parts . Polish trigger parts . Modify triggers if needed . Change the spring guides for better fitting ones . Chop the barrel on some rebuild and put a sticker on it.

Same as many tuners on here or other forums can do or supply bits so you can do it yourself .
    Got a hacksaw and a tub of grease so I will do my own

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I did my own, it's a cracker. I just wish it was a .22!!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by BALD ERIC View Post
    Got a hacksaw and a tub of grease so I will do my own
    Your part of the way there then

Has anybody had one of these ? Would be interested to know what they are like.
    Theoben Evolution .177 with MTC Viper
    "Tell me something, friend. Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

massively underrated gun the 34 ....lived in the shadow of the HW stuff all its life but some have said better than the HWs down the years .......

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    massively underrated gun the 34 ....lived in the shadow of the HW stuff all its life but some have said better than the HWs down the years .......
    I agree. Maybe not better than the HWs, but a credible alternative, better than Webley Vulcan/BSA Mercury, and in the same performance bracket (if not build quality/finish) as Webley Omegas or FWB Sports. Which means you can get a good one pretty cheap.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I agree. Maybe not better than the HWs, but a credible alternative, better than Webley Vulcan/BSA Mercury, and in the same performance bracket (if not build quality/finish) as Webley Omegas or FWB Sports. Which means you can get a good one pretty cheap.
    The old type HW80 is Possibly my favorite airgun, but the basic 34 action is so nicely designed it is easy debatable that it is better than the hw95, the barrel hinge setup for a start and as we can see by the video that the central angled TP works fine when tuned, it's a bit like the TX action hard to improve on

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I have one, in .177. Mine doesn't twang.
    Nether does mine
    B.A.S.C. member

I was a little surprised to see SFS tackle the 34. Its a heavy rifle at 7.5 lbs. Little in the way of custom woodwork unless they have cut a deal with CS that will improve the standard plank.
    It's a long rifle too. A nip and tuck on the barrel length would be in order and could lose 4" and still be good on power though a silencer would add that back on.
    It's supposed to have almost the ideal stroke though so the shot cycle when tuned well should be pretty gentle. Then again my 280 now sorted makes power very easily, is lovely to shoot and is lighter than the 34 so i don't think the 34 would tempt me.
    I hope it's good for SWS and Diana and if it is it should bring Diana a little more mainstream.
    The T06 is a pretty adjustable trigger though has a long first stage pull which does need reducing unless you get a finger .
    extension.
    The 34 in my opinion is probably better compared to the HW80, The 280 being more 95 like.
    I'd be interested to see the finished product.
    Last edited by robs5230; 23-08-2017 at 06:29 AM.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I was a little surprised to see SFS tackle the 34. Its a heavy rifle at 7.5 lbs. Little in the way of custom woodwork unless they have cut a deal with CS that will improve the standard plank.
    It's a long rifle too. A nip and tuck on the barrel length would be in order and could lose 4" and still be good on power though a silencer would add that back on.
    It's supposed to have almost the ideal stroke though so the shot cycle when tuned well should be pretty gentle. Then again my 280 now sorted makes power very easily, is lovely to shoot and is lighter than the 34 so i don't think the 34 would tempt me.
    I hope it's good for SWS and Diana and if it is it should bring Diana a little more mainstream.
    The T06 is a pretty adjustable trigger though has a long first stage pull which does need reducing unless you get a finger .
    extension.
    The 34 in my opinion is probably better compared to the HW80, The 280 being more 95 like.
    My 34 was the older design of the 90s labelled under RWS....it was somehow nicer for its shorter forend stock which left the breech block exposed. The grain of the wood was better but i never had a problem with the weight which was BSA Mercury ish in general handling and in the shoulder....
    I did chop my barrel and no affect on accuracy.
    Its a super gun and simply needed a better fitting guide rod which today would be of delrin.
    A shortened barrel reguided 34 will take some beating and the proof is in those group sizes in the earlier video.....how you going to beat that.
    It def beats the 99 anyway due to no galling.....versus the 95 the HW might just clip it for general build but the 80 i always felt a touch heavy...
    The FWB sport MK1.....it sits alone ..
    Underlevers of any make........well you could see the extra bit of trouble he had in loading these in the video....not my choice for rough shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    extension.
    I put my 34 Premium on the scales recently and it pulled 7lbs 13oz: a bit over the stated weight. Yet, it feels perfect in the hand and balance is very good. The barrel length seems fine, possibly due to the longer fore-end of the stock. I think the 34 is a better gun than the 280 in .177 but in .22 they are closer (both in standard form). The .22 34 does have a slightly under-sprung, easy going feel- not to the extent of an HW80 but along those lines. The .177 feels different- quicker, sharper in response but not harsh. No twang from mine either. Accuracy is as good as I hoped and better than I expected out of the box. A .177 34 and a .22 280 would make a good pairing and the shooter would gel with both and switch between the two easily.
    The SFS 34 appears to perform very, very well in the video. I too hope that CS will offer stocks for the 34 at some point.