Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw77, 97, AA ps, tx200, walther lgu.., or ???

Hw77, 97, AA ps, tx200, walther lgu.., or ???

Ok., So after my prosport thread I've realised that there is probably little in it when it comes to looking at the top underleaver spring guns so I'm starting this thread to find out what else is out there that's just as good. As per title, what haven't I listed that's Equally as good but perhaps doesn't get mentioned often like the above do?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Mate, get yourself a older 25mm 77, beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Ok., So after my prosport thread I've realised that there is probably little in it when it comes to looking at the top underleaver spring guns so I'm starting this thread to find out what else is out there that's just as good. As per title, what haven't I listed that's Equally as good but perhaps doesn't get mentioned often like the above do?
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    Nothing, really. I don't think the Diana underlevers offer them much competition.

You just have to make the most of one of the guns you've mentioned. I've had them all, and this is what I think.

Out of the box, the LGU is king. But it has issues.

The rest are all good, but need a little work.

I still have a soft spot for the HW77/97 because they are built like tanks and have the best springer trigger on the market. There's just something special about a Weihrauch.

Had a Prosport, but never got on with it. The balance is nice, but it's very hold sensitive. The TX is a better gun.

Just my opinion of course.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Thanks all
    Rhys
    You missed these currently made underlevers

http://imgur.com/0TXeVnQ

But you could play it safe with txhc

I love Diana break barrels, but their underlevers have failed to excite much enthusiasm among target shooters.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Mate, get yourself a older 25mm 77, beautiful
    This is a very good answer.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    This is a very good answer.
    Even better answer: 25mm '77 short stroked with titanium piston and fully glided, as per Paul Short tuning. Cocks like an hw30 effortwise and shoots full power but as soft as butter

Jerry

I do keep rolling bk to the 77/97..., I'd probably like the tx more if it didn't have bare trap but I think there are so meany more choices for stocks, upgrades, barrel lengths & caliber options in the hw range. the winerack seems just to be the blaringley obvious choice....

Jeez I wish I could just walk into the sportwaffen shop with 500 euro & 3hrs of free time......
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Cocks like an hw30 effortwise and shoots full power but as soft as butter

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... YES! That's the stuff....
    I need to change my pants

I do like the look of that forest laminate

I do keep rolling bk to the 77/97..., I'd probably like the tx more if it didn't have bare trap but I think there are so meany more choices for stocks, upgrades, barrel lengths & caliber options in the hw range. the winerack seems just to be the blaringley obvious choice....

Jeez I wish I could just walk into the sportwaffen shop with 500 euro & 3hrs of free time......
    get a Mark 1 Tx , better shot cycle and no bear trap

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    TX vs HW
    Bore: Tx is 25mm, current HW is 26 - tx better
    stroke: current TX 98mm, HW not sure around 88 ? HW better, but a longer latch rod or a nose extension for the TX is cheap and brings the stroke down to an even better 85mm (like the mk1)
    safety; TX has a beartrap, HW doesn't. If you don't want the TX beartrap, a slither of credit card disables it. Or just get used to it
    trigger; not much in it
    balance; as above
    aftermarket stocks; as above
    firing cycle; tx is lazaglided out of the box, and has a rotating piston, which helps. But HW has a bit more spring room, and a better piston seal.
    random stuff: TX is easy to rebarrel if you want/need. And easier to strip (not that the HW is at all hard).
    At the most extreme end of tuning, the HW kinda edges the TX purely in terms of spring room, but I'm talking 22mm sleaves, complete custom powerplant etc.

Summary:
    out of the box - mk1/2 TX or 25mm HW best, but from the current guns the HW is better
    cheap tune - stroke reduced TX best
    tune (e.g. lazaglide) - nothing in it
    extreme tune (e.g. 22mm sleave, custom piston etc) - HW edges it on spring room

(however I much prefer the TX 'cos I am quite fond of keeping all my digits, and the HW has no ABT)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    TX vs HW
    stroke: current TX 98mm, HW not sure around 88 ? HW better, but a longer latch rod or a nose extension for the TX is cheap and brings the stroke down to an even better 85mm (like the mk1)
    safety; TX has a beartrap, HW doesn't. If you don't want the TX beartrap, a slither of credit card disables it. Or just get used to it
    trigger; not much in it
    balance; as above
    firing cycle; tx is lazaglided out of the box, and has a rotating piston, which helps. But HW has a bit more spring room, and a better piston seal.
    random stuff: TX is easy to rebarrel if you want/need. And easier to strip (not that the HW is at all hard).
    At the most extreme end of tuning, the HW kinda edges the TX purely in terms of spring room, but I'm talking 22mm sleaves, complete custom powerplant etc.

Summary:
    out of the box - mk1/2 TX or 25mm HW best, but from the current guns the HW is better

(however I much prefer the TX 'cos I am quite fond of keeping all my digits, and the HW has no ABT)
    Good balanced breakdown Jon, thanks!! I'll have to read it a few times & think about what I'm aiming at (pun intended!)

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    TX vs HW
    trigger; not much in it
    balance; as above

Summary:

Jon, you missed that the 77/97 has no cocking shoe and the cocking link can crack and wear in this area

How long are your fingers? This is very important if you pick the HW. Very long reach to the trigger, and I have large hands.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    How long are your fingers? This is very important if you pick the HW. Very long reach to the trigger, and I have large hands.
    .... partly solved with a Rowan set-back trigger.....or an aftermarket stock!!

Jerry