Thread: Old air rifle id

Old air rifle id

Had this rifle over 20 years ago it was a big old lump really dark stock and the distinct feature was the pistol grip was like bark and if I remember it had the same finish on the forend.
    Believe it was a factory rifle so not a home made stock, but don't have a clue to what the rifle was?

No one else will have a clue without a picture.

Sounds a lot like my rifle which has a metal barrel with a hole in it and a trigger to release the pellet. I think it was made by someone at a factory who was alive at the time. The stock was made from a tree, but the bark and leaves were scrapped off.
    It,s not so big, so may not be the same as yours.

Old air rifle id

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Sounds a lot like my rifle which has a metal barrel with a hole in it and a trigger to release the pellet. I think it was made by someone at a factory who was alive at the time. The stock was made from a tree, but the bark and leaves were scrapped off.
    LOL , that cheered me up thanks. it must be a thingummy whatchamacallit!

Sorry no pics but thought the stock design might have been a clue to someone .

Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Mason View Post
    Lol ... early morning grins .

To the OP , what type was it ?
    Springer ? and if so was it a break barrel , underlever , sidelever .
    Pcp ?
    How did you fill it - to narrow down the possibilities - did the bottle remove from the front , or did you have to fill by hose to the gun .
    Single shot or multi via a mag - built in or removeable ?
    Cocking by a side Bolt or handle or lever ?
    or Co2 / Pump-up ?

As for a grip like BARK
    Sounds like the airgun had heavily stippling - not the same as chequering and would look and feel like raw bark to some areas of the stock . As usually seen on Walnut stocks and if stippled to grip and forend that would suggest a premium model .
    So if a break barrel - and it had a rise and fall cheek piece , it could have been a HW98 as specifically this had course stippling to grip and from an image I have also ( it seems ) to the underside of the forend .
    If Pcp it could be from this period a Webley FX 2000 , or one of the higher Falcons possibly .

Or ....
    I have run out of ideas .
    Time for a coffee

Ha glad it made some people laugh , should have been a bit more specific. Rifle was a .22 break barrel .

Paratrooper?
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Stickin with me HW

Quote Originally Posted by hydroclamp View Post
    Ha glad it made some people laugh , should have been a bit more specific. Rifle was a .22 break barrel .
    Am going to stick to my suggestion of HW .

Bark like stippling to the grip and ( unless I am really wrong) , on the fore-end too .
    Mind I am no expert on HW 's of the past 20 years so perhaps the 98 is not old enough .

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    That looks like the one , had the spacer on the pistol grip maybe it was that it had deep stippling but it did look just like tree bark.
    Not such a daft question after all to those who know there stuff and not the village idiot.

20 years ago. maybe a hatsun.? a big old lump.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroclamp View Post
    That looks like the one , had the spacer on the pistol grip maybe it was that it had deep stippling but it did look just like tree bark.
    Not such a daft question after all to those who know there stuff and not the village idiot.
    It isn't a brilliant picture, there was a spacer on the butt pad as well. I haven't seen one of these in years, wasn't the barrel covered in a plastic sleeve?