Thread: Walther LP53 question

Walther LP53 question

Does anyone have any experience of replacing the leather piston seal on a Walther LP53 with one of the synthetic ones which are now available?

I changed one for a PTFE verson, The result was a very consistent and accurate LP53, There was a little more recoil but not such that is spoiled the shooting experience and the improvement in consistency was well worth it, I also have another with a leather seal, out of the 2 the "upgraded" one is the most accurate and has a significantly better power output.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Many thanks for those responses - just what I was hoping for and a very interesting link too. My LP53 is a new acquisition and seems to be working just fine but I was thinking about giving it a 'spring clean' at some stage and wondered about replacing the seal. I think it's probably late fifties (39544) and doesn't look as though it's been apart. Might be better to leave well alone!

lp53

Quote Originally Posted by sulns View Post
    Many thanks for those responses - just what I was hoping for and a very interesting link too. My LP53 is a new acquisition and seems to be working just fine but I was thinking about giving it a 'spring clean' at some stage and wondered about replacing the seal. I think it's probably late fifties (39544) and doesn't look as though it's been apart. Might be better to leave well alone!
    Made in 1960 with serial No.39544.

Thanks for that!

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I use a TR Robb one and the consistency is very good with a slight increase in power IIRC.
    Good value for money IMO.
    I can't say I noticed any difference in felt recoil.
    I did keep a record of the mods I made and the physical differences in output, but that's on my work PC - if you PM your email address I can send you copy...