Thread: BSA Spitfire barrel question

BSA Spitfire barrel question

My Spitfire has a standard length .177 barrel. With a silencer fitted, it becomes very very long.

So I wondered if I could put a "generic" BSA carbine barrel on the gun (as sold by John Knibbs). Or a BSA Lightning (XL) carbine barrel.

I'm sure it would fit, but I remember reading somewhere that John Bowkett designed the Spitfire barrel specially for the gun. Having something to do with the fact that it's actually a pcp and not a break barrel for which the barrels mentioned above are designed.

I might just have to drop John a message.

Lastly, any experiences with the silencer on the Lightning XL barrel? I guess a Weihrauch silencer works best, but it does look nice, the slide on job with swivel stud.

Many thanks, Louis

Hi Louis, are you back in Devon ? I think the Spitfire takes the standard generic BSA barrel, you can check with John.You may just have to adjust the allen screw to get back to your previous fps if you fit a shorter barrel. I recently bought a really accurate Bisley Spitfire for £85, very pleased with it.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

the barrels arent especially designed as far as i am aware, as it will take a meteor or similar older springer barrel like a supersport. i dont think it will take a lightening, but i could be wrong? however, you may find that the barrels that came with 'em were choked for pcp - especially 177, but a standard older springer barrel probably wont be.
    Spitfires rule! i picked up another one a little while back (i have a few now) for £65! If you can get JB to blueprint it, you'll be amazed by how good they can be once optimised - they are unique i would say i would love to get my hands on a firebird!
    is yours low fill or high fill?
    'Windage & Elevation, Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'

My Lad's Spitfire has a Supersport barrel on it, all the articulated cocking link barrels from the break barrels interchange IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    the barrels arent especially designed as far as i am aware, as it will take a meteor or similar older springer barrel like a supersport. i dont think it will take a lightening, but i could be wrong? however, you may find that the barrels that came with 'em were choked for pcp - especially 177, but a standard older springer barrel probably wont be.
    Spitfires rule! i picked up another one a little while back (i have a few now) for £65! If you can get JB to blueprint it, you'll be amazed by how good they can be once optimised - they are unique i would say i would love to get my hands on a firebird!
    Thanks for your replies Baz and web22. @Baz, I'm back in Holland, but I miss Devon a lot.
    @web22, mine is a SF, bought new 11 years ago for my 18th bday. JB blueprinted it last December, and that has done the gun a lot of good. It doesn't have the slow leak anymore and it shoots beautifully.
    I will check with JB for the barrel question, as I know that the Spitfire does benefit from a choked barrel. I found this out after a gunsmith had shortened the original barrel; after that, the gun grouped like a shotgun. Which improved a bit with 4.53mm instead of 4.51mm pellets.
    I've also got a Firebird SF since a few months, through this forum. It has just come back from John Bowkett (a friend picked it up for me when he was in Engeland).
    Many thanks, Louis
    Ps. 65 pounds for a Spitfire, wow! People clearly don't know how good they are sometimes. Although many leak and just need to be sent to Birmingham for some expert repairs and finetuning.

Quote Originally Posted by webb22 View Post
    Sold Louis a Firebird with 4 barrels, the best one I have seen. Just finished making a .20 barrel to fit it when he bought it. .20 is becoming my favourite calibre lately, got a Daystate PCP in it and a HW 95.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Sold Louis a Firebird with 4 barrels, the best one I have seen. Just finished making a .20 barrel to fit it when he bought it. .20 is becoming my favourite calibre lately, got a Daystate PCP in it and a HW 95.

Baz
    I am very happy with the Firebird Baz, and it was nice to meet you!

After speaking to John, I know the answer to my question:

Spitfire (and Firebird) barrels are modified Superten barrels.
    They have a choke. This is necessary for accuracy, especially in .177.
    BSA springer barrels do not have a choke.
    In .22 and .25, this is probably less of a problem.

I have actually experienced this myself: a gunsmith once shortened my .177 Spitfire barrel, after which the gun grouped like a shotgun. I had to bin it and find another Spitfire barrel.

Atb, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post

I have actually experienced this myself: a gunsmith once shortened my .177 Spitfire barrel, after which the gun grouped like a shotgun. I had to bin it and find another Spitfire barrel.

Atb, Louis
    John is a good man to know, sure he could help with anything you needed Spitfire wise
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post

Atb, Louis
    Wondered why my recently acquired Bisley model Spitfire shoots one hole groups, glad I did not shorten its long barrel as I was thinking about it to fit a moderator.

Baz