Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW95 vs HW99

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

HW95 vs HW99

I've just been going through some springers with Mrs Bum to find one she wants for range use.
    We went through the Diana 31 and a couple of more non-typical guns before moving on to the Hw's. She shouldered and cocked the 99 followed by the 95. She found the 95 easier to cock, but then confused me by saying she liked the fact it was lighter too!?[IMG]/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

"No, no, no!" Says I, "you have it all wrong, the 99 is lighter than the 95." Oh how I laughed! Girls eh?

She gave me what can best be described as a stony look and told me I was wrong, the 95 is lighter.

Out came the scales, it was time to assert my technical prowess and knowledge of all things guns.

Now, I'll say right away, neither of these guns are anywhere even approaching standard. The 99 has a shortened barrel and a SAK moderator and the 95 is a full length mk1 with a barrel weight in a CS800 stock.

The HW99 wieghed in at 3,385 grams
    The HW95 weighed in at 3,179 grams

The HW95 is almost 1/2lb lighter.

Whoa! Hold the phone! Shut the front door! And other such exclamations of disbelief.
    That can't be right?

I weighed both again with the same result. How can this be?

Then the penny dropped![IMG]/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG] The HW99 has a mini barrel sleeve between the breech block and moderator. Its the same colour as the metalwork, no wonder I'd missed it! I took that off and tried again.

The HW99 weighed in at 3,155 grams. That means a shortened HW99 is a whopping 24 grams less than a full length HW95 in a CS800 stock.

Frankly, I'm amazed!
    Last edited by tinbum; 17-08-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Walnut is less dense than beech! I have an 80 that weighs almost the same as my 95, both in walnut stocks.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Walnut is less dense than beech! I have an 80 that weighs almost the same as my 95, both in walnut stocks.
    Yean, I get that, but I couldn't beleive it was so close!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Even factory rifles there is only 300g difference according to the HW website.
    Master Debater

I feel faint...

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I've just been going through some springers with Mrs Bum to find one she wants for range use.
    We went through the Diana 31 and a couple of more non-typical guns before moving on to the Hw's. She shouldered and cocked the 99 followed by the 95. She found the 95 easier to cock, but then confused me by saying she liked the fact it was lighter too!?[IMG]/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]

"No, no, no!" Says I, "you have it all wrong, the 99 is lighter than the 95." Oh how I laughed! Girls eh?

She gave me what can best be described as a stony look and told me I was wrong, the 95 is lighter.

Out came the scales, it was time to assert my technical prowess and knowledge of all things guns.

Now, I'll say right away, neither of these guns are anywhere even approaching standard. The 99 has a shortened barrel and a SAK moderator and the 95 is a full length mk1 with a barrel weight in a CS800 stock.

The HW99 wieghed in at 3,385 grams
    The HW95 weighed in at 3,179 grams

The HW95 is almost 1/2lb lighter.

Whoa! Hold the phone! Shut the front door! And other such exclamations of disbelief.
    That can't be right?

I weighed both again with the same result. How can this be?

Then the penny dropped![IMG]/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG] The HW99 has a mini barrel sleeve between the breech block and moderator. Its the same colour as the metalwork, no wonder I'd missed it! I took that off and tried again.

The HW99 weighed in at 3,155 grams. That means a shortened HW99 is a whopping 24 grams less than a full length HW95 in a CS800 stock.

Frankly, I'm amazed!

That'll teach you for doubting she who must be obeyed

Dave

Got me thinking I was going to wait until there is a definite galling fix for the 99. I know It's nothing to bother about but its the principle. I need a light weight rifle so am I correct in assuming there are no galling issues with the 95 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    Got me thinking I was going to wait until there is a definite galling fix for the 99. I know It's nothing to bother about but its the principle. I need a light weight rifle so am I correct in assuming there are no galling issues with the 95 ?
    Correct. The HW95 similar to the HW99, but lighter, better built and without the inherant issue of galling. It does cost a few quid more though. If you're worried about that, buy a Hatsan.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Just buy the 95 and short stroke it with one of TBT's piston noses. perfect. Gives the 95 the 99's stroke and bore (well, 2-3mm longer, so it makes power a bit easier), no gaulling, more aftermarket stock choice.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Does this mean we will now have an undying tsunami of 95 threads about how wonderful it is? Lol
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    there is a definite most definite fix.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    And people use to slag off the 80 as being a heavy ole bugger "Oh too heavy to use in the fields" Pussies
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

I got both these rifles hw95k and hw99s.95k is .22 the 99s .177,both great but i prefer the 99s,what a gun that is for the price just over 200 quid,mine is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    And people use to slag off the 80 as being a heavy ole bugger "Oh too heavy to use in the fields" Pussies
    As my 80 is a regular hunting gun I couldn't have put that better lol
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    As my 80 is a regular hunting gun I couldn't have put that better lol
    Dave
    Never noticed it when I borrowed my nephews. Although it had a sling I hardly used the sling as I was always ready for a quick shot if I spotted a bunny.