Thread: Whatever happened to....

Whatever happened to....

The KUNG Hyper Magnum

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6zw215

From what I have had the privilege of seeing on here lately,I'm sure we have some talent that could improve on this monster

That looks very much like another over-lever, spring pistol that has been around for ages. Perhaps they infringed copyright/patents?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    loverly work...

The overlever barrel patent has well and truly expired now
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    As background information for those who have never come across this monster before, it was the brainchild of Swiss engineer Dan Kueng of Kueng Airguns (Basel) dating from 2006. The prototype was completed by 2008 when a pre-production run began, but in March 2010 the company announced that “ Due to uncertainties like the continuing worldwide restrictions of gun ownership, we have suspended the project indefinitely. We do not know when production will commence and do not have a date for the release of the HyperMagnum pistol.”

The website for the company no longer exists, so the company and the project was obviously a casualty of inadequate investment and/or market forces. The specifications for the pistol were impressive, claiming to be twice a powerful as the HW45 (12 ft lbs or with a modified spring giving 6ft lbs for the UK market, interchangeable Walther barrels in .25, .22. .20 an .177 calibres etc.). Shame it never saw the light of day.

I assume a few protypes exist and the prospect of finding one of these would be something to droole over.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Coincidentally I had the same thought just last week and looked them up...

Website was still spouting the same twaddle and having grown up a bit since first seeing it - I can now see what an over-sized, over-weight dogs dinner it really is...I can only assume the doubtless silly start up price was the final nail in the coffin for this ill-fated project.

Kung Hyper Magnum! was it in a martials arts B movie where they guy try's to kick it out of the other guys hand and breaks his ankle?

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Kung Hyper Magnum! was it in a martials arts B movie where they guy try's to kick it out of the other guys hand and breaks his ankle?
    No it was a special move on Tekken
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    No it was a special move on Tekken
    Yeah that or Dragon Ball Z

Over complicated spring pistol that still would not beat the simpler BSA Scorpion which is already pushing our British power limit. When you design a spring pistol you are limited by the size of the swept volume and the average persons strength needed to compress the spring.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Is that a double set trigger?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Is that a double set trigger?

Dave
    No, just a safety.... http://www.dankueng.com/hypermagnum.html

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Coincidentally I had the same thought just last week and looked them up...

Website was still spouting the same twaddle and having grown up a bit since first seeing it - I can now see what an over-sized, over-weight dogs dinner it really is...I can only assume the doubtless silly start up price was the final nail in the coffin for this ill-fated project.

Interesting. So they do still have a website. The old one (2010) no longer exists, so I wonder why they didn't update the new website and delete all mention of the pistol? Perhaps they think it enhances their profile, or perhaps they live in hopes that an investor might still come along and help resurrect it.

Have a look at the Kueng Eleven that the website links to :..

6 x 5ft/lb shots from each bulk fill of co2 - not exactly an impressive spec.

Surely the Hypermagnum is a project in waiting for our resident scratch build genius?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.