Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch HW45 - which calibre .177 .22

Weihrauch HW45 - which calibre .177 .22

Hi
    Im looking to purchase a HW45 but not sure about which calibre (.177 or .22)
    Has anyone had any experience with these i.e. whats the accuracy like @ 10meters with both?
    Any help much appreciated
    Thanks

Welcome to the forum, hopefully someone who has experience of both calibres will come along in a bit. I've only ever owned and shot .177 pistols as in my opinion the lower power limit makes .22s very loopy, even at moderate ranges. However, if you are only likely to be shooting at 10m there should be no problem at all with either calibre and I suspect little or nothing to choose between them for accuracy. .177 are cheaper to run if that matters to you and are the calibre of choice for serious target shooters. Hope this is of some help!

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It depends what you're shooting. If its tin cans, then a through and through from a .177 isn't much fun. Send that sucker flying with a .22!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Dosn't really matter which caliber you get because you can get another barrel in the other caliber quite cheaply and they are a straight swop in a few minutes.
    Great pistols in any caliber.
    Air Arms HFT 500. HW100 FSB. HW99 (.22) HW99 (.177) HW30 (.177) HW97K (.177) Gamo GX40 (.22)

Thanks for the replies, most of the shooting will be tin cans etc in the garden, but was also thinking of using it to get rid of garden pests i.e. rats.

The barrell swapping tip is handy, is it straightforward? i may go for a .177 and then get a .22 barrel but ideally dont want to tinker around too much with this in case something becomes loose/breaks

Mine is .22 but never tried a .177 so can't help I'm afraid. Suspect no real diff in use terms between then though.
    FAS 604, Remington 1911, Colt SAA, HW45, BSA Mercury, Winchester underlever (Walther), SMK QB78

The .177 has 2 power modes (not sure if its the same with the .22?) so i'd go for that. I find the lower power setting is great for shooting at shorter distances or indoors.

If i get the .177, do you mean if I set/cock the barrel at half then this would be half-power, and if its set fully down/across then it has full power?

The .22 also has both power modes .
    Paul

BigEars Guest
    I had a .22 it seemed more comfortable to shoot and less snappy than the .177 I tried. Cracking gun . Great fun to shoot. Very accurate at 10m.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It depends what you're shooting. If its tin cans, then a through and through from a .177 isn't much fun. Send that sucker flying with a .22!
    This is it get one in .22. If you want accuracy from a 45 your better off with a horseshoe.
    Nice things happen to nice people.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
    This is it get one in .22. If you want accuracy from a 45 your better off with a horseshoe.
    Not if you treat it right.

Quote Originally Posted by devkny01 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, most of the shooting will be tin cans etc in the garden, but was also thinking of using it to get rid of garden pests i.e. rats.
    Shooting live quarry / vermin with air pistols is very much frowned upon on this forum and if you discuss it, you could face a ban.
    The only exception being the humane dispatch of animals or birds that have been legally trapped.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

...if you can get one