Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bench rest rules

New bench rest rules

I wonder if any of you shoot in your local bench rest league.
    Many of us at my local club do and we have just been informed of a new rule for next season as follows;
    Any rifle with a magazine MUST only be loaded with ONE pellet at a time!
    Many of us use AirArms, Bsa's and Wiehrauchs and to try this with some guns is quite difficult.
    Now, we all only do this for fun, some of us are on limited fixed incomes and some single shot adapters are not cheap for some makes of rifle so this is unpopular to say the least.
    The other thing that we struggle to understand is what is the point of this rule; in target shooting, the gun is always pointing downrange; it is not as if we move between shots, is it?
    I know that some members have already said that they will not shoot in the league next season solely due to this rule change.
    Anyone in any other areas having this rule change, please?
    If so, what do you think?

I suggest you do some real shooting in field bench rest pointless to easy

In HFT the mag must be removed between lanes.
    Has anyone given a reason for your new rule. My guess is that it is to prevent a person thinking they have finished their shoot on an empty mag while in reality they have one or more pellets in it .... and if they then return the bolt the rifle becomes loaded.
    So it could make sense ....
    Cheers, Phil

I shoot benchrest , with an Airarms ultimate sporter . I had to buy a single shot loader to comply with the rules . I am assuming that there is no rear bag allowed ,so it puts everyone on a level where You have to move to reload .
    Paul

I don't see where your problem would be with this rule. After all it isn't a timed event, so why the drama about taking out the magazine and reloading it each time? Unless you think it is unfair for you to have to break your hold to do this, much the same as a single shot shooter has to.

Cheers
    P

It's been a rule for NSRA based comps for some time.

Bench rest can be shot to lots of different rules.

And it isn't too easy either, actually it's bluddy hard to get consistently good scores; it's asking a lot to get pellets that will make a one hole group within 1mm at 20 yards. And then you've got to do your bit.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Bench Rest Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    In HFT the mag must be removed between lanes.
    Has anyone given a reason for your new rule. My guess is that it is to prevent a person thinking they have finished their shoot on an empty mag while in reality they have one or more pellets in it .... and if they then return the bolt the rifle becomes loaded.
    So it could make sense ....
    Cheers, Phil
    No reason as far as I know; mags have been used before with no bother at all and as I said, many people fund it difficult to keep replacing the mag after every shot as many of us are elderly with arthritis, etc. I can see the rationale with HFT as you move from lane to lane, etc. but not with BR. I now shoot a single shot rifle but I would still like to be able to use my HW100 if I want to and a single shot loader for this is expensive as you know, after 30 years of golf I am determined to keep the costs of shooting as low as possible.

Have a go at the Midlands postal league. You can use the magazine, use a bipod and a rear bag as well. Teams of three enter so you will need two buddies.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Try BR outdoors in windy conditions at 100M with a pellet gun. Not too easy. Or go for 200M if you find 100M not challenging enough.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Too easy!!!!!

have you had a go at it i mean proper bench rest not plinking of a bag.

Ditto.

A.G

If it's too easy, it's too easy for everyone. Which means, it's just as difficult as anything else to beat the competition.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Just cannot see the point the target doesn't move and you can get as close as the rules let you!!!!!
    bench rest at 10 metres FFS. I think the only shooters that shoot at this way are those hat have the
    gimp leather jackets and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more than likely office workers.
    And I bet the same crowd have a £2000 scope and have a fluffy bit stuck on the end of the rifle for wind direction...

Come on what is the point of this shooting, to easy by far and it's only hard cause you can't shoot.

Just cannot see the point the target doesn't move and you can get as close as the rules let you!!!!!
    bench rest at 10 metres FFS. I think the only shooters that shoot at this way are those hat have the
    gimp leather jackets and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more than likely office workers.
    And I bet the same crowd have a £2000 scope and have a fluffy bit stuck on the end of the rifle for wind direction...

Come on what is the point of this shooting, to easy by far and it's only hard cause you can't shoot.
    Shame someone on the BBS forum cant post a genuine question about air rifle target sports without someone coming along and throwing insults.

The people who enjoy shooting air rifles are often looked down on by those who shoot live rounds and shotgun, as been somehow inferior and not man enough to shoot the 'big stuff'...

Shame that even within our own forum you have also have small minded attitudes

Some sensible answers on here to the ops original question, thankfully there are some decent folk still out there