Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New bench rest rules

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Shame someone on the BBS forum cant post a genuine question about air rifle target sports without someone coming along and throwing insults.

The people who enjoy shooting air rifles are often looked down on by those who shoot live rounds and shotgun, as been somehow inferior and not man enough to shoot the 'big stuff'...

Shame that even within our own forum you have also have small minded attitudes

Some sensible answers on here to the ops original question, thankfully there are some decent folk still out there
    Here! Here!

Before joining my local club I'd only shot prone and in the field. It was explained to me that bench rest was brought into being, primarily, for those who struggled physically so that they may continue to enjoy the sport after prone became a struggle. Clearly, it does appeal to others as an option as it will to me one day, and believe me, it is not a piece of pi$$.

Insults

Shame someone on the BBS forum cant post a genuine question about air rifle target sports without someone coming along and throwing insults.

The people who enjoy shooting air rifles are often looked down on by those who shoot live rounds and shotgun, as been somehow inferior and not man enough to shoot the 'big stuff'...

Some sensible answers on here to the ops original question, thankfully there are some decent folk still out there
    Well said! I totally agree, you'd of thought someone with grammar that bad wouldn't of bothered posting such a ridiculous statement.
    I've hunted with air rifle for 35 years and just got into air rifle benchrest. I, and my mates are finding it great fun and very challenging as we shoot outdoors.
    Jez.

Slightly off topic , when I was into motorbikes , one of the lads was a member of a Morris dancing club , I laughed to Myself about this at the time , but never said anything . Back to topic , I personally wouldn't want to do 10 meter comps in the special shooting jackets , however the people that do that enjoy their sport and that's good , it's a social aspect they enjoy and it's competitive . I enjoy shooting air rifles at 20 / 25 yards in benchrest , I have even done benchrest at a 1000 yds with an Ar15 (20 inch group ) The detractors shouldn't take the Mick , it's a sport , live and let live .

Paul

And some of us are disabled so bench rest is one form of shooting where you can compete on equal terms

Quote Originally Posted by BALD ERIC View Post
    And some of us are disabled so bench rest is one form of shooting where you can compete on equal terms
    Personally, having tried bench rest a few times in the open air and indoors out to 25m I have great respect for those who do it well. My daughter used to shoot 10m rifle and again I have the greatest respect for the shooters who can hit a 1mm dot centrally over and over again, lego suits or not. They make it look so easy ..... the truth is in the trying.
    Cheers, Phil

Bench Rest

Thank you. Sir.
    I shoot bench rest as I am awaiting a bi-lateral hip replacement. I also suffer from polymyalgia rheumatic ( little or no strength in arms, neck and shoulders) so at the moment I am unable to shoot anything else. As for it being easy, let the doubters give it a try!! Mick.
    Last edited by noz1; 18-08-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling error

I plink at spent .22 cases at 100 yards with some degree of success but I can't do good groups paper punching at 25 yards to save my life.

I take my hat off to those who can.

Bench rest shooting easy? Yeah right!

Bb

Bucket boy , You have summed it up right😀👍
    Paul

This 20 yard card shot in 177 is just a 100 once gauged out to 22 calibre.

http://i.imgur.com/bSR56MN.jpg

To qualify for the NSRA ELEY finals at Bisley you have to be able to shoot four cards consecutively like this or better. The more centre pips you take out the better.

One slip and a pellet hole touching the nine ring and it's early bath time.

Yep, you're right, it's too easy. ha ha ha ha ha
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I never knock any form of shooting, whether it be centre or rimfire, shotgun or airgun. I only really plink these days but used to hunt and put in a lot of practice at the time

People who shoot may do a discipline because they enjoy it - bench rest, FT, HFT, long range target etc, who are we to knock someone's chosen discipline ?

Just enjoy what you enjoy and let others enjoy what they enjoy
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Without knowing the ratio decedendi it is difficult to know how to answer this.
    On the face of.....I do not see this as being a safety issue as the guns should be check and demonstrated safe when the range comes off live.
    You could perhaps argue that it reduces the amount of movement inbetween shots. But a good shot is a good shot however you do it and i indiffernt shots bitch the most.

When HFT started it was pretty much off the shelf rifles and bog std scopes. Compare that kit to whats on the line now.

Rules make the sport but the shooter is inventive and the rules become top heavy

Rabbits have different rules and its still one shot
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by noz1 View Post
    No reason as far as I know; mags have been used before with no bother at all and as I said, many people fund it difficult to keep replacing the mag after every shot as many of us are elderly with arthritis, etc. I can see the rationale with HFT as you move from lane to lane, etc. but not with BR. I now shoot a single shot rifle but I would still like to be able to use my HW100 if I want to and a single shot loader for this is expensive as you know, after 30 years of golf I am determined to keep the costs of shooting as low as possible.
    So just load a single pellet in to the mag for each shot can't really see any extra cost.

I imagine the reason is to make the shooter break position rather than just work the bolt which might be seen to place them at an advantage.

Anyone who fails to remove their magazine while "making safe" at the end of a shoot needs kicking off the range anyway

Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    I suggest you do some real shooting in field bench rest pointless to easy
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
    Just cannot see the point the target doesn't move and you can get as close as the rules let you!!!!!
    bench rest at 10 metres FFS. I think the only shooters that shoot at this way are those hat have the
    gimp leather jackets and gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more than likely office workers.
    And I bet the same crowd have a £2000 scope and have a fluffy bit stuck on the end of the rifle for wind direction...

Come on what is the point of this shooting, to easy by far and it's only hard cause you can't shoot.
    Must be difficult to get close enough to the bench with an ego that size to muscle out of the way!!! As Carl said it doesn't matter how easy it is if the rules of competition are set it'll only make the competition closer! It's like saying what's the point of std stock car racing over open sports car racing... Besides it allows more people, even disabled people access shooting & that's a very good thing.
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I am sure that the comment about bench rest shooting being too easy was said with quite a bit of humour in mind, look at the Smiley. No need for everyone to get on their high horses about insults that were never made.
    As for the rules I guess the only ones who could possibly have an answer for it are the ones who administer the sport. Some rules make sense and some rules are there just because. What is the justification of not being able to turn the illumination on and off in HFT as the target requires it? None I would say. So there is the possiblity that they just made this rule to bring the sport more in line with FT and HFT bit who knows?

A.G

Lensman57, I think I hit a few home truths there