Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New bench rest rules

Quote Originally Posted by gwyn View Post
    Good evening Mick, i shoot in Leeds too,it started with this e-mail from the Leeds organiser to eighteen match secretary's,"I have been asked to permit air rifle shooters with a gun that has a magazine that has more than one pellet loaded to be used in bench rest competition.This is because it requires more than one hand to take out the mag and replace it,so putting these competitors at a disadvantage to the 0.22 shooters who load with one hand.This will apply for the winter season as an experiment to see what effect if any it has on results".
    Some one has had their cage rattled?
    Personally its an outdated rule,i cant see that anyone can gain anything out of it?And with an air rifle you will be up against a big butch 13lb Anschutz or Walther with heavy match barrel firing Tenex off a Cognoscenti front rest anyway!
    So good luck Mick,mind you don't break any rules!!!!
    Don.
    What range are you guys shooting at, 50M or 100M?
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Bench Rest Rules

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    We shoot air at 20 yards

Hi riku,there are two distances 20yds and 25yds on a scaled target in the same competion.
    Are you on the other side of the pond to us?
    Don.

Hi riku,there are two distances 20yds and 25yds on a scaled target in the same competion.
    Are you on the other side of the pond to us?
    Don.
    I'm on this side, Finland to be more precise. We shoot airgun BR mostly at 100m and 200m, a bit more challenging as far as wind is concerned
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,

I'm on this side, Finland to be more precise. We shoot airgun BR mostly at 100m and 200m, a bit more challenging as far as wind is concerned
    Yup, that's the problem with Bench Rest - absolutely no consistency in rules, format, scoring systems, targets.

It also means there's something for everybody. We do 20 yards and take part in the Devon postal league which is our local one, and that is on NSRA targets, and we also take part in the Midlands Region postal league on their targets, smaller roundels but inward gauging, and you can use a bipod which many members like to do.

It does mean two types of target card to stock, and the ROs have to be up to speed on the rules.

Little things like, witnessing the shot cards, must be a listed witness of course, and two cards constitute a round. Some leagues allow you to get whichever RO was in charge of that detail to sign, whereas others demand the same RO witnesses both cards, and that isn't always easy to organise as you have to know the RO will be on your second detail before you shoot the first.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    Yup, that's the problem with Bench Rest - absolutely no consistency in rules, format, scoring systems, targets.
    Well Mr Samson i think thats rather rude of you to make that comment to Riku who is a resident of a different country to us with different laws.
    As for the UK,well yes it would be good if there was a set of rules that were the same for all but you know it aint going to happen!!!!!
    To many fingers in the pie and little consultation with the competitors.
    I wont complain about my county league as the league had been running for several years before our club even found out about it.
    But since the competition started there have been changes in the weapons and their specifications and the rules do need updating to reflect this.
    The NSRA have only just come up with a NSRA official national target, but the counties have all been doing their own thing in the mean time hence the differences.
    Example,county rules state that an air gun must use Wadcutter type pellets,but dont spec. the type of .22 bullet to be used.
    I want to see a set of rules that facilitate all shooters if the competition is to be attractive to all club members and that surely is what it should be all about.bringing together not dividing.
    Don.

[QUOTE=Rich;7326299]It also means there's something for everybody. We do 20 yards and take part in the Devon postal league which is our local one, and that is on NSRA targets, and we also take part in the Midlands Region postal league on their targets, smaller roundels but inward gauging, and you can use a bipod which many members like to do.

Rich,as you are shooting in two different leagues what is the position as regards the use of magazines in rimfires and air rifles.?
    Don.

Good question. I asked the Devon organiser last week and she said the rules for this winter (basically NSRA) had been agreed some weeks ago and there was no change to the rule that says only one shot to be loaded at any one time. So you can use a mag but with only one pellet in it.
    We're in the process of making the same checks of the Midlands league.

Meant to add, we are off-ticket air only at our club, no rimfires. The Midlands league entry form does require an A against the name of anyone shooting air.

On the matter of calibres, Devon allows any calibre up to 0.22 but you can't swap calibres part way through the season.

Well Mr Samson i think thats rather rude of you to make that comment to Riku who is a resident of a different country to us with different laws.
    I thought it was rather rude of riku to imply that there was less value in shooting at 25m than at 100m.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    I thought it was rather rude of riku to imply that there was less value in shooting at 25m than at 100m.
    I didn't say there's less value. I've shot informal BR at 25m and it's different game than 100m as wind effect is relatively small. That doesn't mean less value, just that different things are more important.

Gwyn, the Midlands League have just confirmed that magazines can be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Gwyn, the Midlands League have just confirmed that magazines can be used.
    Rich,is that magazines for air and rimfire?
    Don.

I would imagine so; our question was air-specific though.