Thread: Bisley Magnums .22

Bisley Magnums .22

Have the Bisley Magnums changed Manufacturer? The last batch of tins I bought was about two years ago and have bought another batch as running out.
    They are in different tins and just have Bisley with no reference to John Rothery Wholesale. Not opened any so may shoot the same
    Have they changed does anyone know? Used Magnums in my Rapid 7 for Donkeys years with great success!!!!! Maybe the changes are a marketing ploy

Opened a new tin to try and shot a dozen pellets, all is good and so no change there
    Last edited by jumbuck; 17-08-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added a little ditty at bottom!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    They are still rebadged H&N barracuda, but a few years back the Magnums started becoming available in head sizes 51,52,53 rather than the generic 4.5 or 5.5 you usually see on the bottom.
    Check your tins they will likely say baracuda on the bottom and now a head size.
    So long as you stick to the same of whichever size it prefers you should likely see no difference.
    My old rapid barrel shot 52 ok, 53 was too hard to load and 51 were an absolute laser.
    51 then further sized manually with a pellet sizer was positively cheating lol

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    They are still rebadged H&N barracuda, but a few years back the Magnums started becoming available in head sizes 51,52,53 rather than the generic 4.5 or 5.5 you usually see on the bottom.
    Check your tins they will likely say baracuda on the bottom and now a head size.
    So long as you stick to the same of whichever size it prefers you should likely see no difference.
    My old rapid barrel shot 52 ok, 53 was too hard to load and 51 were an absolute laser.
    51 then further sized manually with a pellet sizer was positively cheating lol

Regards,
    Rhys
    Cheers for that that's interesting and didn't know. I've checked but can't see anything other than a bar code sticker with some German lingo!!!!! BUT on the last old tin I have you are right Rhys it says BARACUDA 5,50 in 200ER. All the many tins I have got through and never noticed
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P

If you hunt mainly, the baracuda hunter and baracuda hunter extreme (different pellets) are also worth a try.
    They group similarly but are a little lighter and pack one heck of a clout.
    I'm not usually one for gimmick pellets, but both of these can certainly do what they say on the tin.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR

Quote Originally Posted by rgc_swanseaARC View Post
    If you hunt mainly, the baracuda hunter and baracuda hunter extreme (different pellets) are also worth a try.
    They group similarly but are a little lighter and pack one heck of a clout.
    I'm not usually one for gimmick pellets, but both of these can certainly do what they say on the tin.

Regards,
    Rhys
    Was thinking of trying the .177 version of these in my huntsman.. 9.something grn is just about right for hunting I recon.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I dont have any left of those unfortunately Rhys, but i do have some of the Baracuda Hunter (10.34 hollow dot on top) if you want to try some

Regards,
    Rhys

Bisley Mags Vs Baracuda ?

Hmmmm ....am confused now . The Baracuda's I have all have a distinct point , whereas the Mag's I keep all have a very slight flat spot so look dumpier . The skirts and rear inner are identical though . The Mag's do also have a very narrow flat band around the circumference of the base of the head when the Baracuda have no band before the waist area .
    Also the weight I recorded was that Mags ( that I have ) are heavier by about .04-.05 grain .

Baracuda and Baracuda match are two (slightly) different pellet.
    Could explain it?

Regards,
    Rhys

Maybe old stock ?

Mine are def the non Match standard Baracuda . From a distance look identical to Bis Mags . Just up close there are differences . Weights are near enough but not identical . I averaged x10 from each tin and despite variations all these Mags are heavier . Think maybe one is older stock , one newer stock . Somewhere I read and saw that originally the 80's Baracuda had ribbed skirting which obviously has been dispensed with .

I noticed the change a while ago, I only noticed it when my Airwolf would not group as tight with the new screw top tin magnums. The sticker on the bottom now says "Bisley magnum 5.50" not barracuda as it used to.

It is very difficult to buy barracudas here, I think Bisley obviously have the rights, barracuda match are available in most places. I wondered whether barracudas would be the same as my old tins of bis mags so I sourced some and yes grouping was restored. Could be some weird coincidence but I tried new tins from a few suppliers and they would not group as well as before for me.
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Quote Originally Posted by airwolf1 View Post
    I noticed the change a while ago, I only noticed it when my Airwolf would not group as tight with the new screw top tin magnums. The sticker on the bottom now says "Bisley magnum 5.50" not barracuda as it used to.

It is very difficult to buy barracudas here, I think Bisley obviously have the rights, barracuda match are available in most places. I wondered whether barracudas would be the same as my old tins of bis mags so I sourced some and yes grouping was restored. Could be some weird coincidence but I tried new tins from a few suppliers and they would not group as well as before for me.
    That's interesting, this is the first batch of screw lid tins I have used, the old ones are the usual push on lids. The few I shot out of my HW80 12ft/lbs in back garden seemed okay. I only use in my R7 running at 30ft/lbs and the Mags are spot on. Tomorrow I am after squirrels so will see how well the new tin mags perform in the Rapid. Will take my good old Spitfire just incase but that uses Bisley Superfields in push top tins.
    Last edited by jumbuck; 19-08-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Can't spell!!!!

Well been out in the sun after tree rats this afternoon. Tried the new Magnums and old in the Rapid. New tin had a few with swarf and damage to skirts but old tin had no swarf or damaged pellets. Old pellets group tight at 35yds but new are not excessively but noticeably looser grouping. Got 5 tree rats and 2 woodies all shot with my .22 Spitfire, what a great little carbine!!!!!! The Rapid took couple bunnies