Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW97 Paul Short titanium piston kit - superb stuff!

HW97 Paul Short titanium piston kit - superb stuff!

Tonight I fitted the titanium piston. I never thought that you could make much difference to the stage 3 gun because it shoots really nice but..... I took out the stage 3 kit and put in the titanium kit. The titanium piston is LIGHT - I didn't believe how much difference it could make but I weighed the standard piston, the stage 3 piston and the titanium piston ..... you will see in the video. It needs more preload to power that light piston. The stage 3 kit needed almost none - the titanium about 20mm. The shot cycle - my god, the difference is marked. Almost no sight picture movement. A fast shot cycle but really nice. Very, very nice. Impressive stuff. As ever with Pauls work, it is beautifully made - the new spring provided has the ends dressed and polished, the guides are perfect and the machining on the piston etc is a pleasure to see - almost a shame to hide it away in the gun. There will be many pellets going through this gun this weekend

Click this link fo the video

https://youtu.be/KbgcJ53ZG4E
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Another great video Neil thanks for posting, I often wondered is Paul a self taught tuner or has he worked for venom/v mach in the past.
    Weihrauch HW97 .177, Weihrauch HW80 .22, Weihrauch HW77 .22

Quote Originally Posted by para View Post
    Another great video Neil thanks for posting, I often wondered is Paul a self taught tuner or has he worked for venom/v mach in the past.
    I dont know mate. I know that is engineering work is second to none and that the stage 3 kit he made for me had thousands of pellets through it without any issues. I will ask him his background the next time I speak to him.

Looks very nice indeed, thanks for making the video. Has he opened the transfer port at all? I would expect the lighter piston to bounce a bit with a standard port.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Paul put a 25mm titanium piston system into my HW77 Mk1: this has been short stroked, glided and t.p opened. I am still playing around with it, not least of which in finding it crept up to 810-812, despite having an easy cocking stroke. Removed one packing washer to get it back to high 780s.

I too have a Paul Short stage 3 '97, and was sceptical that it could be improved on. The lighter piston does transform it. Yes it recoils, but in a very benign manner and not much.

Only difference in the gliding is that Paul completed sleeved the compression tube rather than buttoning it but it still means no metal-metal contact anywhere.

Well worth the money spent (£170): I just need to get the action re-finished to match the quality of the internals now!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_79 View Post
    Looks very nice indeed, thanks for making the video. Has he opened the transfer port at all? I would expect the lighter piston to bounce a bit with a standard port.
    Opened to 3.4mm

piston seal

surprised to see you still have the original seal, a lot of tuners change the seal, always enjoy your vids

Another great video neil180...

Looks like you are happy with the results, it will be interesting what the accuracy and power is like when its bedded in.

Does this mean you dont need tbe stage 3 kit anymore. If so ill call first dibs. Lol

Looking forward to the next installment.
    Daystate Regal xl .177 / Hawke niteeye 6-24x50irsf...
    Weihrauch HW97 .22 tbt kit / Hawke sidewinder 30 10×42...

2 ferrets and a net...

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Neil that's a first class video mate, out of interest what costs are involved?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

To be honest, I tend not to publish the prices that the tuners charge as they like to deal with prices on an individual basis with the customer. But in this case and at this moment in time (as obviously the price of materials etc may go up etc etc ) Paul is charging 130 quid for the titanium piston. A bargain when you compare it against others I reckon.....

However - I would suggest that anyone wanting some of his bespoke work should get in touch with him and tell him exactly what you want - then find the price. He is very good value for money.

Forgot to metion...
    This morning I had a little session with the gun. I put about another 100 pellets through it. I got a few shots over the chrono and it is averaging around the 770 fps mark with H&N HFT 8.64gr pellets - thats 11.4 ft lbs..... spot on for me

I will be having a few more session over the next day r two and I will let you know how the gun settles down - but really impressed with it so far.

neil180
    As a subscriber, I saw your video on this topic before I saw this thread. Excellent video, as a 97 owner ( bog standard .22 97 KT STL) I follow your 97 vids with keen interest. I wish I had your knowledge and skill set! Keep the vids coming!
    ATB
    Steve
    .22 HW 110 ST
    .22 HW97 KT Blackline STL
    Walther CP88 Competition Nickel

BEESA is offline A Man walks in to a bar.....
    Hi Neil , could you let me have Pauls contact details please . Thanks for the video
    It's very interesting .
    Don

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    To be honest, I tend not to publish the prices that the tuners charge as they like to deal with prices on an individual basis with the customer. But in this case and at this moment in time (as obviously the price of materials etc may go up etc etc ) Paul is charging 130 quid for the titanium piston. A bargain when you compare it against others I reckon.....

However - I would suggest that anyone wanting some of his bespoke work should get in touch with him and tell him exactly what you want - then find the price. He is very good value for money.
    Thanks for that Neil, as you say a bargain when you consider the work involved.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by BEESA View Post
    Hi Neil , could you let me have Pauls contact details please . Thanks for the video
    It's very interesting .
    Don
    I normally get in touch with him via facebook groups. he is a member of my groups (air frifles, walther air rifles and shooting at dawn) plus he is also a member of many Weihrauch groups. His email is gamekeeper43@hotmail.com