Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glued Cracked Stock Wrist?

Glued Cracked Stock Wrist?

I've just repaired with glue a nasty crack through the wrist of a Walnut Longbow stock.The glue has done an excellent job and the crack is now barely visible.

In the experience of anyone who has done such a repair is drilling the stock from the inletting and gluing a screw in also necessary or will the glued wrist be strong enough without?

The glue I used is Alaphatic Resin.

Never used anything but glue myself but did get a gunstock that had been glued and a woodscrew drilled from inside literally pinning the two seperate pieces together . Very well done and very strong repair with the glue . Had the thing a while before I realised the thing had been repaired so whoever did the work was good .
    Would have been a bit of a faff trying to drill from inside the action inletting - not to far otherwise the tip would have poked out into outer surface and the chequering area . Guessing to avoid too much stress on the wood , hole was drilled with drill bit oversize for that specific screw size used . By that I mean the screw tightening in did not make more problems by cutting into fractured weak area .
    Screw was countersunk in the inlet are very well too to avoid any snagging on the airgun mechanism when re-installed .

secretagentmole Guest
    Repaired a cracked Theoben stock with cascamite wood glue and a screw, the screw got the join nice and tight, it was not a pretty repair because I did it and I am not a professional joiner. But it damned well worked!

Back in 83 (ish) a RAF chippy glued an old FN shotgun wrist for me after I fell on the gun & broke it, that lasted 30 odd years.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    If it had split clean in half them I would use a screw but just a split just glue.
    Master Debater

I glued a length of threaded rod into one I repared, it worked a treat.

Ora

Properly glued, the glued area is often stronger than the wood itself. Having recently needed to separate some glued 2x4s, they mostly separated from the wood itself, not the glued join, which would remain attached to one piece or the other... quite inconvenient TBH.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Thanks for everyone's input.

I think the glue alone will be enough as many are suggesting.

ATB.

Cool

Hard to say without seeing how it split. Obviously a uneven split will have more strength if glued and perfectly mated back together than a smooth split. I would be tempted to put a screw in or a peg. Depends how confident you are with such work. I recently glued a split Mercury stock but added a peg for good measure. OK it is easily seen but kind of adds to the character. Once something like that happens I would personally prioritise restoring strength and functionality over trying to make it look exactly as before. Don't suppose one would with a Purley though...
    A Soldier's time is spent in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption.
    HW80K, HW35, BSA Lightning XL, BSA Mercury Mk1

Years back this was so modern glues are probably even better, I resin glued an old HW80 stock back together at the pistol grip. Could see the repair but I made a nice job of it however a year to 18 months it broke again on the original break so replaced the stock with a reasonable second hand item.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

mrto,

A screw or dowel will add that extra bit of security.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

creed Guest
    Just as a matter of interest,has anyone used Sugra (https://sugru.com/ ) for repairs to stocks,grips etc.?
    I've used it on load bearing grips eg irons (the laundering kind ) and a coffee pot yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I've just repaired with glue a nasty crack through the wrist of a Walnut Longbow stock.The glue has done an excellent job and the crack is now barely visible.

In the experience of anyone who has done such a repair is drilling the stock from the inletting and gluing a screw in also necessary or will the glued wrist be strong enough without?

The glue I used is Alaphatic Resin.
    I would definitely put a a screw or a glue a hardwood dowel
    Down the length of the pistol grip as you now have a weak link in this area regardless of what glue you use.
    If you do put a screw in do pilot hole it first though.
    Regards Graham

I have no plans to use the stock at present,but when I do I may well add a screw of dowel as suggested.At least then there would be no doubt of the lasting strength of the repair.

Thanks for all of the suggestions,guys!

ATB.

If the wood has separated into two pieces it is better to drill it and put either a small piece of threaded bar in or a hardwood dowel.

You can line the two halves up by knocking a panel pin part way in and then snipping the head off. Press the half with the panel pin into the other half and it will mark the wood ready for drilling so it lines up. Take the panel pin out and drill that half as well.
    Don't forget if you are using any glue you will need a small air hole drilling to let the trapped or out or what you put in will be like a piston and the trapped air will keep pushing you bar or dowel out.