Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custom stock cs500 oiling

custom stock cs500 oiling

Hi all,
    I've received my cs500 stock this week and Its nice, Its dark with a decent grain however I would like to oil it further before fitting. I would like to ask what people have been using on top of the cs finish and how it was applied to yield the best results. I'm looking at danish oil and would hope to obtain a deeper satin finish at the end. Has any one finished with danish? how did you apply and what did you do in between coats and what frequency did you oil.
    Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    Hi all,
    I've received my cs500 stock this week and Its nice, Its dark with a decent grain however I would like to oil it further before fitting. I would like to ask what people have been using on top of the cs finish and how it was applied to yield the best results. I'm looking at danish oil and would hope to obtain a deeper satin finish at the end. Has any one finished with danish? how did you apply and what did you do in between coats and what frequency did you oil.
    Thanks very much.
    Theoben used custom stocks stocks on their guns and I was told they were varnished not oiled. Not sure if that true.

If it is then I doubt oiling will make ant difference.

Just been on their site and found this .
    Although Machinery is used for the initial shaping and in-letting of the rifle stocks manufactured, each stock is finally finished by hand, which includes sanding, staining, lacquering or oiling. Great care is taken during the sanding and finishing of all our air rifle stocks to achieve a high quality consistent finish to a semi Matt sheen that is both aesthetically pleasing and hard wearing in most conditions.

Possibly theoben specified lacquer as they were beech stocks on most unless it was walnut fitted.
    Last edited by bighit; 19-08-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Theoben used custom stocks stocks on their guns and I was told they were varnished not oiled. Not sure if that true.

Id say this is definately oiled, however im not sure what with so I have sent and email to them to ask, waiting on reply.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

The Theoben Hyedua stock were made by CS and were varnished. I know this cos Blackmax has my Profile stock and has stripped it, recut the checkering and is now oiling it for me.

Walnut CS stocks are oiled though, I have a few. I use danish oil when new and then walnut oil preparation to maintain.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The Theoben Hyedua stock were made by CS and were varnished. I know this cos Blackmax has my Profile stock and has stripped it, recut the checkering and is now oiling it for me.

Walnut CS stocks are oiled though, I have a few. I use danish oil when new and then walnut oil preparation to maintain.
    Just had a look on the site . I only saw walnut on there. My EVO is beech (or so the seller told me.its a dark finish) .

I did think of stripping it but I have a hw99s to do first and it's not getting anywhere fast. Down to bare Wood but gave up on it for now.

On custom stocks cs500 page I found this .
    This is a Sporter designed air rifle stock, made from our standard grade American Walnut wood with an oil finish.
    Our stocks are laser checkered to forend and pistol grip & include a ventilated recoil pad.

It's oiled. But what oil is used ?

On custom stocks cs500 page I found this .
    This is a Sporter designed air rifle stock, made from our standard grade American Walnut wood with an oil finish.
    Our stocks are laser checkered to forend and pistol grip & include a ventilated recoil pad.

It's oiled. But what oil is used ?
    they are oiled and they use danish which they apply with a cloth not hand rub and remove immediately i am not sure but i think they give two coats but i have forgotten. they dont leave the danish to dry they rub it off straight away but of course some remains and if you continue the finish builds up

I'm going with danish oil then, Ill be honest I've never done it before so I want to get the best finish I can.

Continued use of danish oil, letting dry between coats, will build up a very durable high gloss finish. About eight coats will be needed, applied with a cloth each time, leaving a good day drying time between coats and rubbing down after each of the first few coats to get that smooth finish.
    Cheers, Phil

I use linseed oil, does the job, looks good and love the smell!!!!!
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbuck View Post
    I use linseed oil, does the job, looks good and love the smell!!!!!
    Going by the smell of danish I'd say it contains linseed oil as one of the "natural oils and resins".
    Smile!...today is the day you worried about yesterday. :-)

Supanova II Weymouth....http://www.supanova-charters.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by weebster View Post
    Going by the smell of danish I'd say it contains linseed oil as one of the "natural oils and resins".
    It has been stinking up the room a bit.

secretagentmole Guest
    Just use walnut oil, get it from Tesco's!
    I use it on my walnut stocks, rub in well and polish!

I looked into that but the general consensus was that supermarket walnut oil doesn't have have the drying compounds or preservatives in to for gun stock treatment.
    Last edited by thomas9784; 19-08-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas9784 View Post
    I looked into that but the general consensus was that supermarket walnut oil doesn't have have the drying compounds or preservatives in to for gun stock treatment.
    It does, there are those who claim it does not, that it goes off, which tells you they are not using pure 100% walnut oil

I have used it successfully on walnut stocks for over a decade, it works, does not stink and costs a damned site less!