Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
Having decided to replace my old Olympus bino's...I did my research and duly selected a nice set of 10 x 42's and I'm very, very pleased with them.
But now the thought occurs that generally zoom optics are classed as inferior in performance to fixed power optics and generally I tend to leave my scopes set on one power unless I'm trying some new idea out (before usually going back to how it was previously ) it mucks up the mildots unless you either are using a FFP scope or keep a book of all the various range points.
So are we all buying zoom scopes like trained monkeys or is fixed mag where the smart money goes....?
Your argument and assertions as to why people buy zooms and how people use zooms is far too simplistic.

I have cheaper zooms and I have top end zooms. The use is very different. Can be comp...can be hunting...can be Long Range lead dropping.....

You pays your money...you get what you pay for.

There are many ways to use and shoot a zoom scope that do not carry the disadvantages you mention.

They are a useful tool bought by people who do not use or do not know the abilities or the way to use them. Overall...a good feature ut thats not to say there isnt a pile of crap gear out there too.