Thread: Mainspring compressor

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Mainspring compressor

I like the look of this tool
    Air Venturi Rail Lock Airgun Spring Compressor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJfi1TVFdY
    But is it or similar available here in the UK?

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Its a clever design that's for sure. This said some folk really overestimate the need for a spring compressor. The overwhelming majority of legal limit guns in the UK do not need one. In fact I have yet to come across a rifle where I have needed one. This said it would be nice to own just have in case.

Be interesting to hear from other members who have had sub 12 ft/lb rifles where the had to use a spring compressor

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Not too sure how useful it would be on some air rifles - Weihrauch with the screw on trigger blocks or possibly some of the older BSA's (Mercury, Airsporter, Etc) which don't even have a flat face for the compressor to sit on

For years all I've used for a spring compressor is a good quality sash clamp. I'm assuming others have done the same as it seems to me the obvious tool for the job. Fully adjustable to suit any rifle action!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Its a clever design that's for sure. This said some folk really overestimate the need for a spring compressor. The overwhelming majority of legal limit guns in the UK do not need one. In fact I have yet to come across a rifle where I have needed one. This said it would be nice to own just have in case.

Be interesting to hear from other members who have had sub 12 ft/lb rifles where the had to use a spring compressor

Kindest regards

Barrel
    The worst I had to deal with was a HW45 pistol surprisingly enough, I managed to knock up a compressor but without one mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob 2705 View Post
    Not too sure how useful it would be on some air rifles - Weihrauch with the screw on trigger blocks or possibly some of the older BSA's (Mercury, Airsporter, Etc) which don't even have a flat face for the compressor to sit on
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    For years all I've used for a spring compressor is a good quality sash clamp. I'm assuming others have done the same as it seems to me the obvious tool for the job. Fully adjustable to suit any rifle action!

Cheers
    Greg
    I purchased a 36 inch sash clamp specially for that purpose but needed it yet so not set it up as a compressor. Not much screw thread though but hopefully enough

BSA's with MaxiGrip scope rails would be a challenge with this tool as the rail clamp stop screw has to be removed to allow the rear plug to be removed so the rails then become free to slide back to disengage from the keyhole slots...
    I'll stick to my sash clamp thanks.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

I’ve had to use a spring compressor on BSA Supersports & superstars along with the occasional over spring HW.

ATB
    James

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post

Kindest regards

Barrel
    HW 45
    Airsporter
    BSA Improved Model D
    FWB Sport 124 and 127

Any air rifle with an Ox spring in it.

Maybe some more, but these are just off the top of my head.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    BSA's with MaxiGrip scope rails would be a challenge with this tool as the rail clamp stop screw has to be removed to allow the rear plug to be removed so the rails then become free to slide back to disengage from the keyhole slots...
    I'll stick to my sash clamp thanks.
    Very true. Not one tool for every gun then is it. 3 cheers for the sash clamp

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I made one from odds and sods and use it for Hw45's, Diana's, BSA's and anything "unknown"
    God rest ye jelly mental men