Thread: Zoom scopes....are we being sold a kipper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All things being equal, a fixed power scope is better than a variable at the same price.

But all things aren't equal. Buyers want variable scopes, so that is where manufacturers invest in improvements - and cut profit margins to get volume sales. So the 3-9x40 at roughly the same price as a 4x40 may have design and quality advantages.

For example, I can think of one prestige manufacturer whose fixed powers have been basically unchanged for at least 30 years, whereas they bring out new variables every couple of years.

By contrast, among binocular enthusiasts (eg birders) the received wisdom is that variables are an inefficient gimmick. So the investment stays in fixed-power binos.

You can always turn a variable scope down.
    I have had 4.5-14x40, 4-16x50, 6.5-20x50 & 8.5-25x50 scopes and for ammo testing and trying to shoot the smallest groups I alaways use maximum magnification to optimise precision. In actual fleld use I set the scope to the same power as my binoculars 8/10x so when I've spotted my intended quarry moving from binoculars to scope gives a similar image.
    Anschutz 1427 .22LR Nikon Buckmaster SF 4.5-14x40, A-TEC Mod, Tikka M595 222Rem, Leupold 6.5-20x40LR, Howa 1500 APC 308Win, Nikko Diamond 6-24x50 FFP, wildcat Evolution, Sauer 202 243Win, Leupold 4.5-14x50LR, wildcat Evolution.