Thread: Zoom scopes....are we being sold a kipper?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Your argument and assertions as to why people buy zooms and how people use zooms is far too simplistic.

I have cheaper zooms and I have top end zooms. The use is very different. Can be comp...can be hunting...can be Long Range lead dropping.....

You pays your money...you get what you pay for.

There are many ways to use and shoot a zoom scope that do not carry the disadvantages you mention.

They are a useful tool bought by people who do not use or do not know the abilities or the way to use them. Overall...a good feature ut thats not to say there isnt a pile of crap gear out there too.
    Maybe you've missed the point I was trying to make...(badly perhaps )

Yes, absolutely I accept that there are some people (FT shooters for example) that will make good use of high mag zoom scopes.
    But there are lots of people out there (me included) that have bought zoom scopes and then rarely use the facility because they either have no real need to use that aspect or their particular discipline does not require it (LSR and HFT to name just two)...

For these people would a fixed power scope at the same price have probably netted them a better optic or has the zoom become all pervasive and it only gets really better with high end scopes?
    Should we be seriously thinking more about fixed power scopes then perhaps we do?

It was just a thought...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 21-08-2017 at 10:56 PM.