Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zoom scopes....are we being sold a kipper?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Fixed power scopes only seem available in very budget ranges or high end with none in between thereby limiting choice so all mine are 3-9x40.
    yep, spot on what I was suggesting...and perhaps this is intentional on the part of the scope manufacturers?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    yep, spot on what I was suggesting...and perhaps this is intentional on the part of the scope manufacturers?
    Bushnell elite 10x40 is a great midrange fixed mag scope - I have several

But I agree with your point generally...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

My nephew has a Edgar brothers 6x40 scope on his Hw80k and I took lots of bunnies with it.

On my Annie .22lr I have a centre point 4-16x44 but I keep it on 10x unless I'm too close and I go to 6x.

Pretty sure my centre point is mildot true at 10x. I have bought a range finder so I can double check.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Bushnell elite 10x40 is a great midrange fixed mag scope - I have several

But I agree with your point generally...
    Jon, do you re-parallax these or do you leave and estimate ?

I had one a while back and left it untouched but eventually sold it although I did consider keeping it for my rimfire at the time.
    They are a terrific scope and I frequently think about obtaining another !
    “An airgun or two”………

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Jon, do you re-parallax these or do you leave and estimate ?

I had one a while back and left it untouched but eventually sold it although I did consider keeping it for my rimfire at the time.
    They are a terrific scope and I frequently think about obtaining another !
    reparalax by winding out the whole objective lens carrier, inserting a fine (1.5mm x section tightish stretched) 0-ring, and then tighten back up. paralax free range ends up around 30-35 yards, then don't touch anything ever again. Simples
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    reparalax by winding out the whole objective lens carrier, inserting a fine (1.5mm x section tightish stretched) 0-ring, and then tighten back up. paralax free range ends up around 30-35 yards, then don't touch anything ever again. Simples
    Thanks, if I get another I'll bring it to the next Bash you're at and we'll sort it !
    “An airgun or two”………

I have a lot of time for used Leupold M8 fixed powers: 4x28, 4x33, 6x36, 6x42. Bombproof, nice looking, and unfashionable enough to be (comparatively) inexpensive - often under £100 if you wait for a good deal.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I like that idea, but I've read that Leupold were issuing warnings about the number of fakes out there which are externally very good copies.
    I would worry that a cheap one might be cheap for that very reason - do Leupold offer a S/N checking service here in the UK?

Best thing about a fixed scope is that you only have to concentrate on making a good shot of it.

The biggest issue with variables is that they are complex and have moving parts. If nt made extremely well things tend to go wrong. Some of the budget ones aren't worth the price of the packaging. Even mid priced scopes can suffer from issues. Shift in POI for no apparent reason. High mag with all the parallax focus faffing. When I need a complex scope I pay the money. Tracking and perfect engineering is worth every penny.

Yes there are fake Leupolds, but a second hand genuine one is worth sourcing. Many were imported straight from the States. Basically buy from someone you know and trust. When a Leupold is good they are very very good indeed. Sadly the whole market is flooded with mid priced scopes and Leupold has mudded in to compete. Some of their offerings are still every bit great as ever, some could be better even if price competitive to other makes. Scope buying is a nightmare because its stuffed with those wanting your money. Making a very good scope is far more difficult than it seems.

Just looked through my collection of vintage stuff. Some jump out at being excellent. Most are at best average OK, even if thought the bees knees once. In truth its all in the build, soft aluminium parts don't do well once out of the shop.

I took an Edgar Brothers 8x56 in trade on something or other, Lovely clear scope

In the same deal I also acquired a scope Canis Latrans which seems to be indestructable (Great for me as i'm a clumsy sod!), The mag/object is only 1-4x24 but it's a cracking scope, Probably quite cheap in the U.S. , Can't say i've seen one here before!!

Here's a video of a test of the Canis, It's scary what the lad does with the scope!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I took an Edgar Brothers 8x56 in trade on something or other, Lovely clear scope

In the same deal I also acquired a scope Canis Latrans which seems to be indestructable (Great for me as i'm a clumsy sod!), The mag/object is only 1-4x24 but it's a cracking scope, Probably quite cheap in the U.S. , Can't say i've seen one here before!!

Here's a video of a test of the Canis, It's scary what the lad does with the scope!

John
    canis latrans stuff is sold a lot via alliexpress in China. Looks like a brand that buys other brands stuff and re badges it with their name . For sale here
    https://m.alibaba.com/product/603111...628&redirect=1

Canis latrans = coyote in Latin.
    Last edited by bighit; 23-08-2017 at 12:32 AM.

I like that idea, but I've read that Leupold were issuing warnings about the number of fakes out there which are externally very good copies.
    I would worry that a cheap one might be cheap for that very reason - do Leupold offer a S/N checking service here in the UK?
    Yep, i've heard a few rumblings on the circuit about some really good quality Leup copies. I bought a leup not long ago and contacted them directly in the U.S, IIRC there's even a contact on their site.

Thought so, just found this again. I'd just like to add that the service was excellent. IIRC it was a max of 48 hours from me sending the scope serial number, to them telling me it was a genuine serial number and a precise description of the make/model attached to that seial number.
    https://www.leupold.com/service-supp...erfeit-warning

I think you might be on to something there I use a fixed 10 mag Sightron for HFT and SFT which means it's used from 8 to 55 yards and there's been some FT scopes that have been fixed mag like the Leup Competition series (fixed 35,40,45 mag) and more recently the Falcon.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I reckon manufacturers have just followed market trends and are making for the FT / HFT market in the main.
    The hunting shooter is really being ignored.
    If BSA brought out a 4x40 or 6x40 in their Essential range, I'd buy 6 straight away.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I reckon manufacturers have just followed market trends and are making for the FT / HFT market in the main.
    The hunting shooter is really being ignored.
    If BSA brought out a 4x40 or 6x40 in their Essential range, I'd buy 6 straight away.
    I don't think that the Hunter is being ignored at all as there's vastly more hunters than there are HFT/FT'ers. That just wouldn't make sense from a business point of view anyway.

There have been some dedicated HFT/FT scopes manufactured in the past few years but the ones for HFT, for example are more than capable as hunting scopes. In fact my Sightron 10x42 and Steyr HFT rig did some seious damage to the Somerset Rooks, Squizzers, Magpies and crows
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

I did just that with a S&B 6x42.