Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zoom scopes....are we being sold a kipper?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Maybe you've missed the point I was trying to make...(badly perhaps )

Yes, absolutely I accept that there are some people (FT shooters for example) that will make good use of high mag zoom scopes.
    But there are lots of people out there (me included) that have bought zoom scopes and then rarely use the facility because they either have no real need to use that aspect or their particular discipline does not require it (LSR and HFT to name just two)...

For these people would a fixed power scope at the same price have probably netted them a better optic or has the zoom become all pervasive and it only gets really better with high end scopes?
    Should we be seriously thinking more about fixed power scopes then perhaps we do?

It was just a thought...

No I didnt miss the point. The point is the zoom facility can be used to good effect if you know what your doi g and have the reason to need it.
    The problem is that to add zoom and do it well will add a lot of wonga.
    Most people do t use zoom other than to see something bigger or to see a wider fid of view. Even cheap scope zooms can be used to very good effect if you know the issues the scope has - typically a significant shift in poi.
    Most people do not understand it... and dont use the adjustment to their advantave.
    Zoom has comsiderable disadvantages too so unless one has a specific reason to use zoom....and you know how to overcome the issues...then zoom can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    No I didnt miss the point. The point is the zoom facility can be used to good effect if you know what your doi g and have the reason to need it.
    The problem is that to add zoom and do it well will add a lot of wonga.
    Most people do t use zoom other than to see something bigger or to see a wider fid of view. Even cheap scope zooms can be used to very good effect if you know the issues the scope has - typically a significant shift in poi.
    Most people do not understand it... and dont use the adjustment to their advantave.
    Zoom has comsiderable disadvantages too so unless one has a specific reason to use zoom....and you know how to overcome the issues...then zoom can sometimes be more of a hinderance than a help
    I think most people are aware if zoom is a useful feature to them or not...and a lot of them are purchasing zooms, but just not using the facility because either the choice of something in fixed power was sadly lacking or maybe the initial thought was appealling, but they settled on one power because it suited.

Usage aside though, the question still remains though - are the manufacturer's pushing lower quality zooms over higher quality fixed scopes at the same price point?

As others have pointed out the low cost end is well served and the high end too - but there is not much at the mid price point these days.
    Edgar Brothers used to offer the seemingly well regarded 10x42 Opti-mate, but I think that has gone now...

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    The point is the zoom facility can be used to good effect if you know what your doi g ......
    Even cheap scope zooms can be used to very good effect if you know the issues the scope has - typically a significant shift in poi.
    Hi Steyr,

would you mind elaborating for the sake of us novices
    Last edited by Ooopz; 30-08-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    Ooopz the artist formerly known as Eomer

I got a sweater for Christmas, what I really wanted was a moaner