Thread: Omega back from the grave

Omega back from the grave

I bought a Webley Omega carbine a little while ago, it was a joy to shoot, but only putting out around 9ftlbs, it needed a little TLC.
    It came with a rearsight blanking plate which is now in place, plus what seemed to be a period blued steel muzzle break, which was unfortunatly too small for the barrel, so a previous owner had the barrel turned down slightly, instead of boring the break! It was definitely turned down on the diameter, there was no finish on it. I treated this to a little cold blue just to protect it.

First job was to sort the muzzle end, so I got the muzzle break reamed out to fit the size of the rest of the barrel. This means there is no chamber inside the muzzle break now, it slides on a lot further than before, so in reality now, its just a solid steel cocking aid.
    The Carbine with the cocking aid fitted much further onto the barrel enhances the look of the carbine.
    At the section of barrel that was turned down, I wrapped a bit of rubber strip round, and inserted the lot into the cocking aid, so its held at the front centrally, and at the rear on the barrel by its original grub screw. Job done.

Next onto the low power. It had been messed with, and had a stack of washers under the spring in the piston. The rifle did come with new modern piston washer and breech seal, but when I changed these over, little difference to power, if not lower, so back in with the PTFE washer, but still at 9ftlbs

Finally, I got round to buying a new spring. Quick polish of the ends, dropped it in, its slightly over. Well, power is not the issue anymore, so cut 1.5 coils off, and its running 11.5, nice.

Bit of twang though now....

I must have an early Omega, as the spring guide is a tube pinned in place. I had taken it out, when I realised if I just ovalised the tube near the end, it would touch the spring, and relieve the twang (seen similar principal in the Webely xocet but in plastic)
    So with an ovalised tube, real nice slide fit into the spring, a damn good polish, Omega is back together, and no twang.

Just topped it off with a vintage Nikko "Special" 6x32 gloss scope :-)

Very happy, I loved this Omega from the first moment I shot it, and now its even more perfect, for years to come.
    Last edited by mrgeoff; 19-08-2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Another very interesting renovation thread to read. Brilliant. Many thanks. More please.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Geoff dont be a tease mate, I would love to see some photographs if that's possible.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I've a vague memory that the turned down section was how they left the factory?

I really liked the Omega and thought it very German like inspired design wise when first released.
    The excellent finish, balance, poise, sensible weight plus the stock dimensions were very well thought out.
    The later all metal Webley open sights, manual breech, and sling swivels as standard should of made it a British success story, taking lots of sales from the predominantly heavier German rifles.

Do other members think if the criticized Webley two stage trigger was of a better design it could of won over the pro German British air gun shooters in the mid eighties possibly?

My other omega carbine has not got a turned down end.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Glad you got the power where you want it. Very interesting to hear what you found inside. I now kinda wish I had got around to the project myself rather than passing it on
    Still I have several other projects to keep me occupied yet.
    Cheers Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)