Thread: BSA light pattern standard .177" air rifle

BSA light pattern standard .177" air rifle

I am not quite sure I got the name right, but this little pre-war BSA came home with me last week
    It wasn't working quite right, and it turns out the spring is broken in several pieces, the piston washer is damaged, and the washer screw is damaged. The was a few lead BB's embedded in the washer, the previous owner tells me he has been shooting steel BB's too..

So, I'm looking for a spring, a washer, and a washer screw. Preferably an original spring, as those BSA markings at the spring ends feel important

If anyone on here has some of these parts, and are willing to sell them to me in Norway, or know of any place the can be bought, I would be grateful!

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I am not quite sure I got the name right, but this little pre-war BSA came home with me last week
    It wasn't working quite right, and it turns out the spring is broken in several pieces, the piston washer is damaged, and the washer screw is damaged. The was a few lead BB's embedded in the washer, the previous owner tells me he has been shooting steel BB's too..

So, I'm looking for a spring, a washer, and a washer screw. Preferably an original spring, as those BSA markings at the spring ends feel important

If anyone on here has some of these parts, and are willing to sell them to me in Norway, or know of any place the can be bought, I would be grateful!
    Hi if nobody can help on here, you can try John Knibbs, or Chambers as they both have spares for the BSAs. l hope the previous owner didn't put to many steel BBs through it has they can ruin the rifling.

Original pre war springs, which are stamped BSA are collector's items in their own right and are not easy to find.

Pre war BSA springs were of a lighter gauge than modern repro springs, such as those sold by J Knibbs and Chambers but Protek Supplies of Bognor Regis sell fairly good repros of the original springs. They are closed until after the bank holiday but are well worth contacting if you don't have any luck on here.

Once it's up and running, I think you will be pleased with the little rifle as they are a well made classic, which shoot as well now as when they were first made around a century ago.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l hope the previous owner didn't put to many steel BBs through it has they can ruin the rifling.
    The rifling does not look good, but I have had other rifles shoot okay with less than perfect bores before.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Pre war BSA springs were of a lighter gauge than modern repro springs, such as those sold by J Knibbs and Chambers but Protek Supplies of Bognor Regis sell fairly good repros of the original springs. They are closed until after the bank holiday but are well worth contacting if you don't have any luck on here.
    A very generous member has contacted me with an offer of springs that supposedly are a better match than the modern Knibbs springs, I really look forward to getting this rifle up and running!

To Geoff555: your PM inbox is full ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    To Geoff555: your PM inbox is full ;-)
    Hello Evert my appogies for the full inbox, I had cleared what I thought was enough space but not.
    I am happy to say that I posted your bits off this afternoon.
    I have tried the Knibbs springs before and have found that they have been very hard to cock and have been 'snappy' in action.
    The springs I have sent you I have found not to be quite as soft as the originals but the closest match that I have found.
    They are not the famous 'OX' springs but made for BSA. Please try and is you dont like them then let me know, I do have some 'round' wire springs which I will send to you if you wish but they are hard and to my mind unpleasent.
    I know the old BSA's were well made but I have come accross at least 1 that had a modern spring crammed into it and had bent the cocking lever!
    Enough of my going on.
    All best wishes.
    Geoff.

Thank you very very much!!