Thread: Bsa lightning xl se shroud/moderator removal help required please

Talking Bsa lightning xl se shroud/moderator removal help required please

I've got this above gun, although it shoots like it's running at 20ft lb, but only doing 9ft lb. I've found it be to be very noisy ( louder than 99). I was thinking of removing shroud/mod to see if it's possible to repack it,however I can't shift it,the grub has been removed. But I'm having no movement at all tried heating/mole grips. Is there a special way of removing it?,at the moment it has a small mod on end of unf but it spoils the looks (OCD)

Any help gratefully received

Atb ed

Remove thread protector cap on the 1/2"UNF silencer adapter thread, it just unscrews
    This threaded adapter is Loctited into the end of the ally tube, you'll need heat & some way of grabbing on to it to unscrew it, really tricky to do without marking the finish. Do the same with the ally tube, heat & something clever to grab it, there's more delicate finish to worry about, holding onto the cone can be a challege, more finish to worry about.
    This should leave the cone shaped end behind with a bare ally block in front of it, this is just a tight fit on the end of the barrel, pull it off with a little brute force. This leaves the cone shape free to just slide off, you say you have already removed the grub screw. If anyone is wondering where it is it is often buried under Loctite under the sling stud.
    I had it easy, I'd already replaced the barrel on mine, which was anyway a well scabbled up barn gun so I didn't worry about the finish, I could just use Molegrips or pump pliers or something. The original barrel was effectively scrap, BSA was going through a bad patch & managed to put a choke at both ends, the accuracy was poor to say the least.
    There is no packing in mine, which is an older model, about 2003-6 I think, it's not a silencer as such, more a cocking aid.

I think I've just rescued some photos from Photobucket, Maybe they wont work, it's all a bit new at the moment, but here goes nothing:
    http://imgur.com/a/vw1pf

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Remove the barrel and shroud from the breech block with an angle grinder, then put the shroud into a lathe and drill the barrel out. You will now be left with a slim, elegant vase for a flower.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Remove thread protector cap on the 1/2"UNF silencer adapter thread, it just unscrews
    This threaded adapter is Loctited into the end of the ally tube, you'll need heat & some way of grabbing on to it to unscrew it, really tricky to do without marking the finish. Do the same with the ally tube, heat & something clever to grab it, there's more delicate finish to worry about, holding onto the cone can be a challege, more finish to worry about.
    This should leave the cone shaped end behind with a bare ally block in front of it, this is just a tight fit on the end of the barrel, pull it off with a little brute force. This leaves the cone shape free to just slide off, you say you have already removed the grub screw. If anyone is wondering where it is it is often buried under Loctite under the sling stud.
    I had it easy, I'd already replaced the barrel on mine, which was anyway a well scabbled up barn gun so I didn't worry about the finish, I could just use Molegrips or pump pliers or something. The original barrel was effectively scrap, BSA was going through a bad patch & managed to put a choke at both ends, the accuracy was poor to say the least.
    There is no packing in mine, which is an older model, about 2003-6 I think, it's not a silencer as such, more a cocking aid.
    Thanks Oliver I'll give that a go, fab instruction. Pics are a big help, I can see what I'm undoing

Top man

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Remove the barrel and shroud from the breech block with an angle grinder, then put the shroud into a lathe and drill the barrel out. You will now be left with a slim, elegant vase for a flower.

Lol like it cheers nick

Ed