Thread: Quest to be proper Englishman picked up a early 20's? BSA Standard at Airgun show

Quest to be proper Englishman picked up a early 20's? BSA Standard at Airgun show

Was at a Airgun show today and picked up a BSA Standard, looks to be in the 1920s given serial number S18133 ? (Looked in Vintage Gallery quickly). Shooting old style 22 pellets at 520 fps? Just happy it shoots! Lol. Pictured it next to the Browning AirStar for the old and the new. Is that date about right?
    https://i.imgur.com/icGbui7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iotjpCV.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-08-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Looks like around the 1924-26 era, the experts will know. I have bought a few of these for around the £180 mark. The first one I bought as a boy in 1961 for £3.
    520 fps is good if the pellets are a decent weight. Yours looks like it has been reblued.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Hi, think it dates from 1923-1924 from the serial No. records in Hiller's book. Nice old air rifle, cheers

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post

Hi, think it dates from 1923-1924 from the serial No. records in Hiller's book. Nice old air rifle, cheers

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Out in the backyard with the new acquisition. It's been restored but whoever did it, did a great job. I didn't have Hobbys in 22 but it liked H&N Excite Wadcutters at 13 grains it was hitting 568 fps. Hobbys would take a grain off that and would put it where the the S and T models seem to fall, different piston than some? (Read in Vintage Airgun Gallery) It was very accurate, hole in hole at 20 feet. Slightly low and to the right. I see a height adjustment on rear sight, assume you have to drift the sight in the dovetail for left and right adjustments? Very smooth to operate and real joy to shoot can see why these where a standard gun everyone imitated. I know in England you see these everyday. Not so over here, they are not rare but I been to two gun shows now and have only seen one other one besides this one. Saw some of the Germany copiers including Haenel but guns in ruff shape. Love the thin, well machined minimalist elegance. Sight picture very good for open sights, best I have experienced and kind on old eyes. Now the oldest airgun in my collection at 93 years, that's a hoot and a good shooter besides.

https://i.imgur.com/mFZR5JO.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-08-2017 at 03:29 PM.

It really suits your porch and rocking chair!

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Out in the backyard with the new acquisition. It's been restored but whoever did it, did a great job. I didn't have Hobbys in 22 but it liked H&N Excite Wadcutters at 13 grains it was hitting 568 fps. Hobbys would take a grain off that and would put it where the the S and T models seem to fall, different piston than some? (Read in Vintage Airgun Gallery) It was very accurate, hole in hole at 20 feet. Slightly low and to the right. I see a height adjustment on rear sight, assume you have to drift the sight in the dovetail for left and right adjustments? Very smooth to operate and real joy to shoot can see why these where a standard gun everyone imitated. I know in England you see these everyday. Not so over here, they are not rare but I been to two gun shows now and have only seen one other one besides this one. Saw some of the Germany copiers including Haenel but guns in ruff shape. Love the thin, well machined minimalist elegance. Sight picture very good for open sights, best I have experienced and kind on old eyes. Now the oldest airgun in my collection at 93 years, that's a hoot and a good shooter besides.

https://i.imgur.com/mFZR5JO.jpg
    good accurate rifles and a real pleasure to shoot.i find mine very smooth and deceptively powerful. yes just drift the sight right or left to suit.i agree with you on the sight picture,nice neat bead on the front sight.

atb.

Such a lot of information on these rifles in the BSA Vintage Airgun Gallery, great stuff. Looks like 35,000 of the "S"s were made.

"Eddie on the power potential of vintage BSAsFebruary 1 2015 at 3:58 PM
    Garvin
    The 1919-39 45" .22 guns (S and T prefix) usually had a different piston / rod and these seem to top out at 560-70 I have found"

Mine at 568 yesterday seems to be right on, having these resources is awesome when acquiring a new gun. Gives you assurance that your in the norm, which is a good thing. And knowing more of the history of the rifle is a big part of the hobby.

Love this quote, how many times in history has this happened and with how many industries?

"1920 – Strikes by various BSA workers over low pay. Iron Moulders strike causes shortage of castings for trigger guards, leading to BSA making the guard from a single pressing; German copies of the BSA Standard .22 cal appear in the UK at less than half the BSA price."

Been shooting the BSA for a little while now and these are just special guns. Feels just right in your hands, the open sight with its fine bead on the front is very close to a peep sight for old eyes. Very accurate. Beautiful machining with a minimalist elegance. Doubt this will be my last one if I can help it.

In case you did not see it, refer to my contribution to your earlier post about pellets for these rifles, which can be seen here:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....3-BSA-Standard

My 1922 Standard is obtaining about 11.3ft/lbs and a late 1930s Standard is obtaining about 10.5ft/lbs.

Yes, the bead foresight is quite superb and provides a sharp definition of the target. They could, I submit, have manufactured these rifles into the '70s without much serious opposition. The lack of a telescope rail in the later post-war period would have been an omission, however.

The accuracy, I have found, is good with about 1inch groupings at 25-30yds but I would like to do some more experimenting on that to see if I can improve on it.

A