Thread: Diana/Original Model 60 Recoiless Rifle

Diana/Original Model 60 Recoiless Rifle

Anyone ever seen one in the flesh, I have not seen any come up for sale over?

Not interested in the later heavier models with the larger stock, such as the Mod 66 (with barrel catch) or Mod 75 (sidelever).

Diana-Original-Model-60-Recoiless-Rifle

G'day aimstraight,

Do you mean the break barrel rifle? if so there is a Gecado 60 break-barrel Giss target rifle for sale here for $A600 - no one seems game to buy it. [Diana rifles were sold as 'Gecados' over here for many years.] I considered buying it, but I suspect the Giss system is one that I am not skilled enough to tackle. I would love it just as I would like a Diana 75, but it's the complexity that daunts me.

Jim

Via Ballarat
    Australia
    Last edited by NTSOG; 01-09-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Lovely shooters they are, you might considder the model 65 as well, it has a barrel lock but keeps the elegant lines of the 60 stock on the earlier models.
    Here are some 60's ...

And 65's ...

------------------------------------
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Lovely shooters they are, you might considder the model 65 as well, it has a barrel lock but keeps the elegant lines of the 60 stock on the earlier models.
    Here are some 60's ...

And 65's ...

------------------------------------
    Frank
    So that's where they all are

They are lovely looking rifles, the top 4 appear to be the Mod 60 and the lower two the 65 with the barrel lockup and shroud. I admit the barrel lockup is very civilized and removes the need to force open the breach. I understand the barrel shroud can be removed if required (for weigh saving).

Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post
    G'day aimstraight,

Do you mean the break barrel rifle? if so there is a Gecado 60 break-barrel Giss target rifle for sale here for $A600 - no one seems game to buy it. [Diana rifles were sold as 'Gecados' over here for many years.] I considered buying it, but I suspect the Giss system is one that I am not skilled enough to tackle. I would love it just as I would like a Diana 75, but it's the complexity that daunts me.

This is the rifle: https://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...act=mrc&uact=8

Jim

Via Ballarat
    Australia
    Not heard of that name before, maybe not surprising to be marketed under a different name. Diana were marked as 'Original' in the UK. I have an Original Mod 6 Pistol, the Giss action is marvelous, but as you say rather complex. There are strip down guides around for the pistol (and maybe rifle), but not for the feint hearted

I have a Tyrolean version. Lovely little rifle [thanks Zooma], it's the first in the line of 60/65/66 rifles; all pretty much the same except for no barrel catch on the '60'. The 65 has the barrel catch as an 'improvement' but my 60 has no trouble with barrel locking. The 66 is a 65 but with a modified stock design, allowed due to an ESSU/ISSU change in ruling, effectively allowing the the stock to 'join' the trigger guard profile with a maximum dimension of 90mm from the bore line; in the same way Anschutz changed the stock shape of the Mod. 250.
    I actually have a 65 action in a 66 stock as that stock got broken, this is just a simple swap as the actions are the same mechanically but will be marked accordingly.
    All of them nice to shoot and if you need a lighter gun, you can always remove the barrel sleeve as we do for younger shooters on a regular basis. I use mine regularly in the MPL league to good effect.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    I have a Tyrolean version. Lovely little rifle [thanks Zooma], it's the first in the line of 60/65/66 rifles; all pretty much the same except for no barrel catch on the '60'. The 65 has the barrel catch as an 'improvement' but my 60 has no trouble with barrel locking. The 66 is a 65 but with a modified stock design, allowed due to an ESSU/ISSU change in ruling, effectively allowing the the stock to 'join' the trigger guard profile with a maximum dimension of 90mm from the bore line; in the same way Anschutz changed the stock shape of the Mod. 250.
    I actually have a 65 action in a 66 stock as that stock got broken, this is just a simple swap as the actions are the same mechanically but will be marked accordingly.
    All of them nice to shoot and if you need a lighter gun, you can always remove the barrel sleeve as we do for younger shooters on a regular basis. I use mine regularly in the MPL league to good effect.
    ATVB
    abellringer
    Is it fairly easy to remove the sleeve, does the barrel get marked in the process?

There is a nut on the end of the barrel that holds the sleeve in place, so it is very easy to remove and it shouldn't damage the finish of the barrel.

-----------------------
    Frank

Thank you for all the responses; not quite so rare as I thought; I shall continue to keep a lookout for one.

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    ATVB
    abellringer
    I am pleased that you are still enjoying your Model 60 Tyrollean - they are lovely rifles
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.