Thread: 2 questions re S4@@ please

Southpaw Guest

2 questions re S4@@ please

I'm about to get one, and very excited I am too.

Q1) I'm buying from here second-hand so need to have mounts for 40mm scope. Can someone tell me do I need highs or meds and can I have some recomendations for good'uns?

Q2) I am converting the bolt over to a lefty, but where can I buy one. Do I need to go to AA direct?? Does anyone make nice ones a bit like the stainless ones ar BAR?

Mucho tankyous

Gary C Guest
    I would guess mediums would be fine and I'd go to Chambers

Southpaw Guest
    Thankyou Mr C. Did a search and found Chambers. 20 squid more punishment for being a lefty Still, its better than dropping half a tin of pellets in the field...one by one

The standard bolt can be converted to leftie. It can be dismantled by removing the bolt in the back (it'll probably need heating), turning round the handle and re-assembling. You also need to move the 'handed' pin near the front of the bolt housing to make it rotate in the right (left!) direction.

Jonathan

Southpaw Guest
    Thanks for that Snapshot. i was wondering if it could be converted...but won't that make it bend the wrong way? Not having one infront of me to look at, I guess that there is a larger recess for the fixing bolt/screw like a straight-sided countersink, but only in one side - in other words, you can't take it off and turn it backwards, only up-side-down.

Is this the case? - if it is, I would rather have a 'proper' left hand one. If it can be done, then you just saved me £20 and I owe you a pint

Hi Martin... the existing lever has a chamfered end, so if you take it off, as Snapshot suggests, and switch it over, either, a) the handle will stick up, but the chamfer looks OK, or b) reverse it again, so the handle is down, but the chamfered bit is wrong....! Otherwise it's a dedicated leftie bolt.
    To change the internal pin, you need to take the barrel and bolt housing off.
    (don't lose the transfer port O-ring.) Did you get an S410 in the end? I've just sold my S400. If you want any help with the gun, bring it to the club.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Southpaw Guest
    Thanks Gus - I'll send you en email.

Scope mounts

Get your self a set of BKL they are about medium hight,they dont push your scope to one side ,because they tighten centrally .Top bit of kit well recommended.
    QUARRY TEAM MEMBER 4 TIMES UKAHFT TEAM WINNERS .AA S400 GINB FT STOCK TASCO 2.5X10X42 AA TX200HC TASCO 2.5X10X42
    STAY SAFE AND HAPPY SHOOTING

To clarify, to change the bolt from RH to LH, you need to slacken off the screw on the back and rotate the handle through 180 degrees about the axis of the bolt, as well as swapping the side the stop pin sits in the action.

I've seen both LH and RH guns from the factory with the bend in the bolt facing both upwards and downwards - it's just pot luck and personal preference really

The Doctor is offline It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to
    It just so happens I have found a lefty bolt skulking at the back of the cupboard (along with three full length cylinders, 1 carbine, and two trigger guards), so if you need it, let me know

LeeH
    Please tear carefully along the perforation.

Southpaw Guest
    [QUOTE=The Doctor]It just so happens I have found a lefty bolt skulking at the back of the cupboard (along with three full length cylinders, 1 carbine, and two trigger guards), so if you need it, let me know

Ooh I do like BBS. How much would you like for a leftie bolt please (send me PM if prefer)
    Thanks