1. Pumper v springer for hunting. We kind of did that here in the UK from 1975-85, when there was a group of shooters and writers who favoured the pumper. But the market said quality springer.

2. However, that result may have been slanted by the arrival of FT in 1981, where the easier cocking per shot of the springer was a huge advantage.

3. But the best springers (HW, FWB) were made to a higher standard and had much better triggers than the typical Sharp/Sheridan/Crosman/Benji pumper. Which also appeals for sporting use.

4. The later British pumpers (Daystate, Titan, Dragon) were competitive in the hunting field with the best springers, just expensive, less wieldy, and (Dragon) less reliable.

5. So if I compare my 1980s Sheridan to its springer competition, it loses. Beyond the effort and slowness of pumping, it has a poor trigger, worse sights (even with a Williams peep), and is a bugger to scope. It is still a nice gun, though. Ditto my Crosmans (of which the 2200s are clearly built down to a price and do not compare in pride of ownership in any way to a good UK/German springer of the same vintage).

6. But if it had a good trigger and decent scope mounting, my Sheridan would be competitive for a lot of pest control type shooting. Just slower between shots. Not better, just different - principally lighter and handier.

7. And this is surely what led to Beeman and ARH in the 70s and 80s making good business out of selling European springers in the US. Because they were a bit better.

8. Back on topic. I imagine the Japanese BSA copies were great. Were they?