Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did any other manufactures rival the BSA Prewar Standard?

Did any other manufactures rival the BSA Prewar Standard?

From what I can see at least Diana and Tell developed guns to compete with BSA Standard prewar. Were any of the rivals, BSA's equal or better?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    From what I can see at least Diana and Tell developed guns to compete with BSA Standard prewar. Were any of the rivals, BSA's equal or better?
    Keep asking questions like that, my friend, and you'll be needing walls running north/south. Speaking of which, how's the one with Mexico coming along?

But, seriously, returning to your question, I very much doubt that you'll get a definitive answer - we've been going backwards and forwards for at least 70 years and still haven't established whether BSA is superior to Webley, never mind lesser makes. Then there's the .177/.22/.25 controversy .

Good luck regardless, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Crosman.

I have a number of well made vintage Crosman's,but never seen one built to the same standard or robustness as the prewar BSA's!

ATB.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Nope....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I meant for my question to be more narrow. Rifles that copied the Lincoln Jefferies underlever spring cocking with that distinctive pistol grip and no wood forearm. I guess the German company's used a breaking barrel to cock the spring? But the look and feel were similar.

It is a interesting question whether Crosman's original inventor, probably using his BSA Standard, came up with a totally better solution to a pellet air rifle? Having a 1930 Crosman it's a question I got to think about. Certainly in machining quality BSA's are more of a work of machining art. But as a functional field rifle the question becomes a little more interesting? But as I said it's not really the question I meant to ask, but it's one I will ask as I take both rifles out to the backyard for a William McLean honorary shootoff.
    Last edited by 45flint; 27-08-2017 at 10:41 AM.

The BSA from 1904 to 1939 was the industry standard. Whilst other designs existed alongside copies, none IMHO could touch the BSA for simplicity, quality and performance.

I have used Diana and Haenel copies and whilst well made, they did not perform as comfortably or consistently in my hands.

The Webley Service is often compared to the BSA and is probably the nearest, although some say the Webley is harder to shoot accurately. It is also a little less powerful.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The BSA from 1904 to 1939 was the industry standard. Whilst other designs existed alongside copies, none IMHO could touch the BSA for simplicity, quality and performance.

I have used Diana and Haenel copies and whilst well made, they did not perform as comfortably or consistently in my hands.

The Webley Service is often compared to the BSA and is probably the nearest, although some say the Webley is harder to shoot accurately. It is also a little less powerful.

John
    I had a chance to hold a Webley Service at my last gun show, just a totally different animal. The BSA Standard as I shoot it reminds me of the grace of the classic American Kentucky flintlock rifle.

The BSA/Lincoln Jeffries under leaver Air Rifle, was a timeless design, featuring the very best materials, and manufacturing techniques available at the time. I dont thing any other rifle came close.

I have used similar rifles by Diana and Haenel, however they dont come close to the quality of workmanship and smoothness of a well fettled BSA. There is a harshness and lack of balance to the German guns, which is different to the BSA's

Webleys are nice, but dont hold a candle to these pre-WW2 BSA's.

Fettling or fine tuning the BSA's is really important, especially for competition guns. Correct lubrication is paramount to achieving a silky smooth firing cycle, and dont be tempted to overspring the guns, as too powerful a spring can leave you with a guns that shakes the fillings in your teeth each time it goes off. Better to have 10.5 ft lbs of sweet accuracy, that 11 ft lbs of jarring impact, which makes the gun unpleasant to use.

Dont forget, if you want to max out on the accuracy of these guns, give the barrel a deep clean when you get it. It will probably be the first time anyone has bothered since the gun was made

Great guns that just seem to work better than they should, and better than most people expect that they will

Lakey

BSA style .... Greener.

I meant for my question to be more narrow. Rifles that copied the Lincoln Jefferies underlever spring cocking with that distinctive pistol grip and no wood forearm. I guess the German company's used a breaking barrel to cock the spring? But the look and feel were similar.

It is a interesting question whether Crosman's original inventor, probably using his BSA Standard, came up with a totally better solution to a pellet air rifle? Having a 1930 Crosman it's a question I got to think about. Certainly in machining quality BSA's are more of a work of machining art. But as a functional field rifle the question becomes a little more interesting? But as I said it's not really the question I meant to ask, but it's one I will ask as I take both rifles out to the backyard for a William McLean honorary shootoff.
    IMHO, a good prewar Crosman 101 bests a prewar BSA in every way possible.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Oooooohhhhh, you're going straight to hell for that one!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

micky2 is online now The collector formerly known as micky
    The Japanese also copied the prewar BSA underlever and break barrel rifles. but l have not seen one in the flesh so l don't know what the quality was like. they are in Smiths book if you have a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Wow, that kind of statement should get the juices flowing for a William McLean - Lincoln Jeffries shoot off. But looking at my 1923 BSA I have an adjustable trigger? Seems the "every possible way" may be a little strong?

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Oooooohhhhh, you're going straight to hell for that one!
    Understood, the truth hurts.